XII. Just Watch

A/N: Even if this story isn't my top priority to finish and the plot is interesting at best, I somehow got 1k+ views. That achievement can only be in thanks to you amazing readers! Thank you!

1164 words

Percy made his way to the arena. The Ares cabin was practicing together. As he walked in, he noticed a young girl in the stands watching them spar. He wasn't sure why she didn't join them, but she seemed content enough with observing, so Percy let her be.

Once he arrived at the center, the Ares cabin gathered around as they always did. They knew he was going to teach them some new tricks or help them improve their technique. The rivalry between Percy and Ares's children somewhat dissipated thanks to Clarisse. The fact that Percy was a great weapons teacher helped too. He had the strength and the knowledge to be the best fighter anyone had ever seen. Godhood helped with that, obviously.

Percy had promised them a fun class last time so he pulled out a relatively advanced maneuver. A few Ares kids had an interest in learning other cultures' fighting styles. Percy instructed them to take out wakizashi swords—a traditional Japanese samurai weapon. It was similar to a katana, but it was a few inches shorter. This was more desirable for the move He was going to teach them because it would be easier to control when first starting out.

They made a large ring around him as he demonstrated he move in slow motion. Percy manipulated the blade to paint sideways figure-eights in the air with minimal effort to appear almost elegant. After they understood the basic technique, he showed them how to increase speed while maintaining control over their blades. Only a few swords went flying. Thankfully, the ring of campers was spread out enough that no one was hit. Towards the end of practice, Percy called over Sherman Yang, the current head counselor after Clarisse, to demonstrate the final part of the trick. He asked Sherman to hold up his blade to block a downstroke. When Percy was certain the son of Ares had a firm stance and a strong grip, he attacked. The sword spun in an infinity sign motion rapidly. Using the force from built-up momentum, Percy expertly guided my blade to strike straight down on Sherman's. Without putting any godly power behind the attack, he was still able to knock the camper back and unbalance him.

"That's the end game. To use the pent-up potential energy and release it in a concentrated strike of kinetic energy. If you can get your opponent off balance, all the better. Now, this trick is mostly for show. It's a good stalling tactic. Your blade is hard to hit, and so are you. But it's not wasted movement. It still has a purpose. Also, this technique should be transitioned smoothly with your fighting. You should not pause in your dual to start the trick or you lose the benefit of its fluidity. Questions?"

A fairly new, but clearly skilled camper raised their hand.

"Yes?" Percy said, inviting her to pose her query.

"Could you use the spinning-blade maneuver with another strike besides the downwards strike?"

He contemplated this for a second before answering. "Technically, yes, but it would almost be counterproductive. The entire point of this move is to utilize types of energy in your favor. To transfer energy into your attack. Downwards motions will be stronger than strikes to the side or upwards because it goes with gravity. Gravitational pull, though seemingly minute, can still add to the amount of power behind the blow. You're already fighting air currents, why fight gravity too?"

She nodded, satisfied with the response and eager, as the rest of them, to try it for themselves.

"Ok, if there are no more questions, I'll leave you to it to practice. Sherman is in charge."

Sherman was left to organize partners so they could practice the maneuver in real-time. Percy decided to join whoever was in the stands and observe. He wanted to make sure no one's head or limbs or other bodily appendages were severed off.

"Hey there. Why didn't you join us?" The god asked the girl in the stands as he took a seat next to her, keeping a respectable distance. They were strangers after all, and she was obviously new since he'd never seen her before.

Estelle was conflicted about what to do. She wanted to jump in his arms, confess that she was his sister. But she was nervous, wondering how he'd react. She had admiringly watched him teach the campers and knew he was kind and skilled and smart. She wanted him in her life as a big brother she never got to have before, to get to know him. But she also wanted him to get to know her first and gauge his reaction. Would he like her as a person before knowing of their sibling relationship?

"I... uh... I'm new... and I- I had some free time. They said I could just watch, ya know? Like... get the feel for the place?"

Percy nodded his head, seemingly understanding. In reality, he was utterly confused. Camp had never told someone to "just watch". They threw you into the thick of it, especially when it came to training. But he figured she was just nervous talking to him or didn't trust him enough with the truth. He could understand that—respect that. So he didn't comment. They observed together in comfortable silence until Estelle decided to break it.

"So... you're an instructor here?"

"I, uh, occasionally teach, yes. But I don't stay around too often."

"Why's that?"

"Um... I've got another job... Other responsibilities."

"I see."

Estelle's eyes went a little sad. She hoped these "other responsibilities" wouldn't mean he'd have no time for her. If he wanted to get to know her, that is.

"Did you just arrive? I've never seen you around."

"Yeah, my friend and I got here a couple of days ago. This guy named Nico brought us in. Well... brought my friend in. I kinda just came along for the ride."

Percy was shocked about that. "You're mortal?"

Estelle blushed a little. "Yeah, I am. Is that... is that a problem?"

"No, no, of course not," Percy quickly amended. "It's just that I can sense a faint aura around you. I thought you'd be a demigod."

"Oh." Estelle didn't know what to make of that. She had an aura? How was that possible?

"Well, I'm glad you're here. You'll enjoy camp if you stay."

She smiled at that. "Thanks."

He smiled back. They got to talking about random things. Their love of Hamilton, the color blue, the ocean, etc. Percy couldn't explain it, but he had an innate desire to protect this girl with his life. The pull was so strong he had to resist hugging her in a safe embrace. Estelle was in ecstasy as they conversed. She loved making her brother laugh. She wanted nothing more than to blurt out "I'm your sister!" But she didn't. Not yet. Not when he asked a dreaded question.