XI. Strange Behavior

A/N: I'm wrapping this up as a short story in the next two chapters, then I'll leave the rest of it up to y'all's imagination. Thanks to those who kept reading and enjoyed this story!

1131 words

When Percy flashed to camp, it was just after midday. Activities were starting up again after lunch, so many kids were running around camp.

For a reason unknown to Percy, they were giving him a side-eye. It wasn't necessarily a bad side-eye, but it was definitely noticeable. When he tried casually asking what was going on, all the campers deflected the question and ran away. He thought it quite strange. Percy knew something was up, but he guessed he'd have to try harder to figure out their secret.

Next, he went to the Big House. Percy had to tell Chiron he had arrived. Plus, he assumed Chiron would give him a straight answer. He was wrong.

"Chiron! Good to see you again!"

"And you, Lord Percy!"

Percy sighed and playfully glared at his mentor. He was so much like a second father that it was weird and annoying and frustrating that Chiron always called him Lord Percy when they first greeted each other.

"Once again, old man, it's just Percy."

"You're getting old yourself, Percy," he said jokingly. "30 now, is it? 31 this August, if I'm not mistaken."

"You're not. You rarely are," Percy flattered.

"Flattery, eh?" Chiron caught on immediately. "Oh, I see. You're trying to figure out why the campers are acting strange."

"Yes! Chiron, please! No one will tell me anything!"

"Sorry, dear boy. I've promised to keep the secret until you figure it out on your own."

He childishly groaned. Chiron and Percy laughed and chatted a bit longer before the anticipation and suspense were too maddening to handle.

"Ok, I don't want to be rude, Chiron, but I have to see what this is all about. Talk later?"

"Anytime. Good luck!"

"Thanks!"

And with that, Percy walked out the door and down the steps of the Big House. He decided to visit the Athena cabin. One, he needed to catch up with Malcolm and the rest of Annabeth's siblings—some still hung out with the younger campers even if they lived in the residential part of camp. And two, if anyone had the answers, it would be Athena's children. They could tell him why people were acting so oddly.

When he got to the door, it was wide open. It appeared as if they were airing out the cabin because the windows were also wide open and it looked more organized than its usual mad scientist lab set up. Papers were neatly stacked on desks instead of sprawled out everywhere and the books were actually on the bookshelf. It wouldn't last long. Percy gave it until dinner. Maybe even after the campfire. Definitely no longer than tomorrow morning.

He noticed all that in about two seconds. Then his eyes landed on the only other person in the cabin. She looked like all the Athena kids—blond hair, grey eyes—and from the large book she held, she had the same brains as her cabin mates.

"Hi," Percy greeted, stirring her out of her concentration.

"Hey," she said back. "What are you doing here? Aren't you a little old to be a camper?"

Percy laughed good-naturedly. She must've been new if she didn't recognize him. It'd only been a couple of weeks at most since he last visited. Surely the stubble wasn't too different. He's usually clean-shaven, but the new public schools in the outskirts of Atlantis have taken up all his attention of late.

"I'm just looking for Malcolm. He's an old friend. I figured he'd be here, nose in a book as you were."

The young girl smiled sheepishly. "He said something about the library screwing up the Dewey Decimal system. But he should be back soon if you want to wait."

"Sure," he said with a smile of his own. "What's your book about?"

Instantly, the girl's eyes lit up. "You wouldn't believe how many types of structural supports are required to build a skyscraper! Not only that but the physics and mechanics involved in stabilizing them is incredible!"

The girl, who somehow slipped in that her name was Claire, kept rambling on about this and that. Claire reminded him so much of Annabeth it hurt. He imagined her with him, enjoying the company of a new sibling. The thought put a smile on Percy's face.

That's when Hunter entered. He looked confused at the scene before him. Percy gave a warm smile to the boy he'd met a couple of times before. The son of Athena returned a hesitant smile before glancing nervously towards Claire.

"Uh... Claire? What's going on?"

"Oh! I was just reading when he came in looking for Malcolm and then we got to talking, actually, I got to talking about architecture and whatnot. And then you came in! Care to join us?"

"I- I'm good. Um... why didn't you tell Percy?"

"Percy?" Claire questioned. Her eyebrows furrowed as the puzzle pieces fell into place. Suddenly, it was like a lightbulb went off over her head because she jumped out of her seat and stared at Percy with a shocked expression. "You're Lord Perseus?!"

Percy couldn't help but laugh. "I'm sorry for not being straightforward with you. It was nice talking with someone who didn't know who I was. And please, just call me Percy."

"Oh, my gods! We've been here for at least an hour! How could I not have told you?! How has no one else told you?!"

Percy was now intrigued. "Oh, so you know why everyone's been acting strange? Hunter, were you keeping this secret too?"

Hunter was taken back by the question. "Uh... no... I mean yes... I mean... the whole camp knows. We just wanted to surprise you by letting you figure it out on your own."

Percy contemplated this for a second before nodding. "Alright, fine. Can you at least give me a hint on how I can find out why the campers are ignoring me today?"

Hunter involuntarily flinched at the word choice. "N-no one is ignoring you, Percy. Not intentionally, at least. It's just hard to keep this particular secret."

"Well, you wouldn't have to worry about that if you just told me what going on, would you?" Percy huffed.

Hunter stood with his mouth open, twitching with indecision on what to say. Percy sighed. He didn't mean to put the kid in an awkward position.

"It's fine, Hunter. I'm going to head to the arena and help out."

Percy left before either could say something or move to stop him. The two children of Athena looked at each other and silently agreed to split up and go find Estelle. They'd bring her to the arena since they now knew Percy would be there for a while. It was about time for the sibling reunion.