Step 1: Program

First you need a program you will be working with. Their are plenty of free and paid for programs today to make a good book cover with. My friend gottabskatin14 uses powerpoint to make her books covers. 

Here are some of the programs I recommend.

1. Adobe Photoshop: It is my favorite program I have used it for all my covers. This is a paid program that's why I understand why many of you may not have it. You can get a free trial version though if you want to try it. I have been using it for 3 years so it may confuse new users.

2. Microsoft PowerPoint: It's a good program that is easy to use if you have microsoft ppt 2007, 2010 or more it is easier because it has picture effects that you can use. Their are many artistics effects and cropping tools to make your cover look good. 

3. Wattpad: Wattpad has a new program to make book covers. I don't like it too much since you have to use the pre-inserted pictures. But it's useful for a makeshift book cover at the time. 

4. Paint: Paint is a good program too if you don't have powerpoint since you can paint and write on the pictures. I wouldn't use it if you want a very (happening) cover since it's a very simple program.

5. Online programs: You can use some online programs to make your covers these can be downloaded or searched on google. Sometimes these have many more tools to make a good book cover.

Are their any other programs you use to make your book covers that I have not listed? Well, then tell me in the comments will ya!