C h a p t e r S e v e n

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Shiver" By Coldplay

C h a p t e r S e v e n >

Rae can feel her sneakers sink into the mud of the forest floor making her lift her skirt up to her knees as she attempts to keep moving. It’s been about an hour since the beginning of the run and she’s been able to keep a pretty low profile but this could slow her down. Using a nearby tree as leverage she’s able to pull her mud-coated sneaker out of the mess.

Deciding to just ditch the shoes she bunches her dress around her knees and keeps the fabric in its place between her legs. Leaning down she unties both her shoes and lets her now bare feet feel the dark earth under them. Letting her dress fall the rest of the way she picks up her shoes by the laces and begins on her way again.

For a half hour she just hid up in a tree. She’s seen other girls being tracked down by their mates while moving through the woods. Veronica found her mate pretty quickly and from all the moaning she heard a few minutes later, she’s guessing Veronica accepted the bond.

Its nearing dusk and the sky above is being painted in pinks and oranges. Rae feels something approaching her and turns to look over her shoulder to see another girl in white. This one is has a purple mask with golden swirls on it. Rae can tell from her unfamiliar scent this girl is not from her pack but she’s curious to see what will happen.

Hiding behind a nearby tree Rae watches a young man, not terribly tall but well built with a golden mask on. His blonde hair is long and tied back from his face in a low ponytail at the nap of his neck. He’s shirtless, of course and dressed only in a pair of light colored jeans. As he approaches the girl Rae seems him inhale the girl’s scent deeply.

“Mine.” He growls.

Rae’s eyes move to the girl. She’s a petite girl in everyway and as she moves back against a large oak Rae can see her shaking. Seemingly seeing it to the boy stands up straight and takes a different approach. Reaching behind his head he removes the mask and smiles encouragingly at his mate.

“I didn’t mean to scare you.” He says sheepishly. “Are you okay?”

“Y-Yeah.” She whimpers. “I…I….”

“Hey, its okay.” He soothes. “I’m Toby. What’s your name?”

“T-Tara.”

“Tara.” He smiles. “It’s a beautiful name.”

“Thank you.” She whispers making Rae smile.

Tara dips her head making her black straight hair fall over her mask a little and Toby drops his head too. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

“I don’t want to…I don’t want to be claimed yet.” She admits quietly.

“That’s fine.” He tells her, slowly moving closer to you. “We can wait as long as you want. You look cold. Do you want to go back to the Alpha house? We can get you warm and we can talk.”

Rae starts moving back from the scene with a smile on her face. Knowing that she probably stayed longer than she should have she starts moving deeper into the woods. She shivers as the cold of the evening begins seeping into her exposed arms. The dress is pretty thin and though werewolves have pretty good inner heating she’s not immune to the cold.

Deciding to warm herself a bit Rae drops her shoes near a tree, mentally noting to come back for them and takes off running. Her bare feet beat against the hard forest floor as her breath comes out in a hard pant. She feels a genuine smile on her face at the feel of the air moving through her hair and the freedom she feels as the sky begins to darken further around her.