C h a p t e r F o u r

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Fix You" By Coldplay

C h a p t e r F o u r >

The kitchen is silent in the morning when Rae walks in. The girls are sitting at the breakfast bar while Jace is in his usual place behind the stove. Hudson is at the kitchen table with a book in his hand and a bagel frozen mid-bite in his grasp. Cleo is sitting in a window ceil with a cup of coffee in her hands and her eyes glued to whatever is outside.

Rae lifts a brow at everyone and they quickly go back to eating but none of it looks relaxed. The only one who seems unaffected is Cassidy who is humming to herself while picking out the brown pieces from her Lucky Charms. Moving towards the fruit bowl on the counter Rae kisses the top of Cassidy’s head making the little girl swat her away.

Smiling slightly Rae takes a green apple from the bowl before leaning over to take a knife out of the stand. Jace’s eyes watch her every move like a hawk but Rae just gives him a dirty look. It’s not like she’d stab Cleo for heaven’s sake and besides she’s not nearly awake enough to commit any assaults just yet.

Sitting down at the kitchen table across from Hudson Rae cuts into the apple before putting a slice to her mouth. She learned this little habit from her father. When she was in her early teens she had braces and she couldn’t really bite into things at first. So her dad taught her how to cut up an apple without losing a finger. The habit stuck with her even after her braces came off.

The silence continues until suddenly the front door slams open and a tornado comes in without hesitation. This tornado though is named Jolene or Jojo to those who know her best. Jolene is Rae’s aunt on her father’s side and since the passing of their mother and disappearance of their father has been a constant source of love for all of them.

“Jojo!” Cassidy and Poppy yell in unison before jumping off their stools.

Both girls nearly tackle the petite brunette but she manages to stay upright. “Well a mighty hello to you too girls.”

“Jojo did you bring us any treats?” Cassidy asks, puppy dog look in place.

Jolene puts a finger on her chin in thought. “I may have but that depends on if you’ve been good girls.”

“We have!” They yell in unison again while jumping around.

Jolene’s hazel eyes move over to Rae who just shrugs as she puts another slice of apple into her mouth. Rae hears a crinkle before the girls scream making everyone but Rae jump at the sound. She’s so used to the screams of kids at this point she can just block it out.

The sounds of the girls running out of the room and most likely towards the living room to eat their treats, leaves the kitchen quiet. Rae keeps her eyes on her knife as it slices into the crisp green skin of the apple while she feels everyone’s eyes moving between her and Cleo again. Finally it’s Jolene who breaks the silence.

“Well can someone at least hug me for some reason other than candy?”

Rae smirks a little while Jace and Hudson chuckle. Cleo, being typical Cleo just continues to look out the window in her own little world. Jace comes over to Jolene first, spatula still in hand and sweeps her up in a hug. Hudson soon follows and kisses her cheek, making Jolene ruffle his hair. Cleo finally turns her head and smiles softly at Jolene and Rae’s grip on the knife gets tighter.

She would pull that little innocent smile of hers out of her ass now, she thinks bitterly.

“Hey, Jojo.” Cleo says daintily.