-Chapter 5-

———🖤———

"You" her voice broke as their eyes met as tears began to form in her eyes.

No he was meant to be dead, but here he was standing in front of her.

"Kit.." he whispered gently as he took a step from the shadows of the tunnel.

"Dewey"

'You lied to me.. you said you would be back before tonight and here you are showing up one year later" His voice broke too, as he stood in front of them in the half destroyed office.

Kit forced a smile as she saw the childish look upon his face, she stepped forward towards him hugging him as the tears began to trail down her face. He to embraced her back, nuzzling his head on the side of neck as the tears fell down her face freely.

"I'm sorry" she whispered still not letting him go, as she tightly held him.

She had gone a year thinking he was dead, often quietly crying not wanting to disturb the Baudelaires or Beatrice.

He pushed her gently away from him, looking into her eyes he gently placed a kiss on her forehead, wiping her tears away with his right hand gently brushing her cheek.

"I've missed you too" he smiled looking into her eyes as they still had tears in them again placing another kiss on her forehead.

She had changed a bit since he last met her, he hair was much longer and she... her baby bump was gone.

The cute gurgles attracted his attention as he looked towards the Baudelaire siblings before turning to there small bundle in Klaus hands.

'Is she.." Dewey mumbled his eyes wide in wonder as he watched a hand waved from the bundle of cloth.

Kit smiled, nodding her head as Dewey glanced back at her as she nuzzled against his chest. A year had passed, he had assumed both Kit and his unborn child were dead.

Klaus smiled as Dewey kneeled down besides him, filled with wonder as he stared at his child.

"You were right" Dewey smiled, tears forming in his eyes as she gently brushed Beatrice's cheek as she gurgled scrunching her face "she is a girl"

"When am I never" Kit remarked tears still rolling down her face as she stood beside Violet, her ankle paining from putting too much pressure on it.

Dewey looked as he looked at his daughter, she had Kit's features but his eyes. He gently held her hand and she wrapped her fingers around his finger. His smile widened as she nuzzled his hand.

"she's beautiful, just like her mother" he smiled standing up from the floor.

Kit rolled her eyes smiling.

Dewey turned towards Violet and Sunny, and then to Klaus.

"Thank you Baudelaires" He smiled embracing the three.

"We're sorry Dewey, it was our fault that you got shot" Violet whispered as he let go of them.

"It wasn't your fault, I never blamed you" Dewey responded shaking his head seeing the guilt in their eyes.

"Did Ernest and frank" Kit began her face falling as she remembered about the fire.

"No the two idiots are still fine" Dewey chuckled turning towards his fiancé, "Lemony is too"

"Lemony" Kit whispered, she had lost her twin, Jaques and her heart had broke on the island thinking Lemony had been dead too. Her face formed a gentle smile again.

"And Baudelaires there are some people that were waiting for you. They came here by a self-sustaining hot air balloon" Dewey smiled seeing the Baudelaires face change with excitement.

"Quagmires!" Violet and Klaus both smiled "they're here?"

Dewey nodded glancing to Kit who had been leaning against Violet.

"Kit, you ankle" he mumbled looking down at her ankle which was wrapped in some cloth "are you okay"

"Just a sprained ankle Dewey I'm fine" Kit smiled, Dewey nodded back.

"This way Baudelaires " he smiled picking up a torch from the table, he gently held Kit's hand as leaned against him placing another quick kiss on her forehead.

"I've missed you" he whispered quietly into her ear.

"that's the second time you've said that"Kit chuckled quietly

"I'm just saying" Dewey pouted as they continued to walk through the tunnels under the Hotel.

"Where do we go now?" Violet asked glancing behind as Dewey and Kit followed behind them, "it a dead end"

"Not exactly, look closely at the stone" Dewey smiled gesturing to the dead end.

Violet furrowed her eye-brows as she looked more closely at the dead end. Klaus too with his free hand gently felt the stone on the wall.

"This... this one is fake, isn't it?" Violet smiled as she placed her hand on it gently pressing down. It had a different texture to the rest, it was more soft but you couldn't tell just by looking at it.

"Just an extra measure to keep it safe" Dewey smiled as he watched the stone wall open up, he was amazed by the smartness of the Baudelaire siblings, not only had they escaped Count Olaf's reach many times they had also found the library under the Hotel which had only been found by another person, the same person who he fell in love with because of her smartness.

———🖤———