Chapter 28

Sydney 

I squeezed Liam's hand as he turned his head to blink away the tears brimming on his eyelashes. Determined not to cry, he sniffles twice before tightening his fingers around my own and finally daring to look at my expression.  

I hope my face expresses how guilty I feel for pushing him to tell me. I was selfish, I was only thinking of myself and couldn't see how badly he didn't want to speak about it.  

That's not true, I saw, I knew he didn't, I just didn't care. I didn't believe that the truth could be worth keeping secret, because the truth is, I didn't trust him. But the dewy look in his eyes fuels my regret and I want nothing more than to comfort him, if only I knew how.  

I gently tug his hand, wrapping my own around his arm, urging him to come closer, letting him know I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere.  

"Liam.. babe..." And that’s all it took. Liam was fully in my arms, his face burried in my shouldersm his free fist clenched, and his body shaking, but still, no tears fell. I admired his strength, but even more than that, I admired his heart.  

I was suddenly very aware of how little we know each other. I mean, this is my Liam. My boy that I have watched grow up in front of me, in front of the world. I have spent every birthday with him, celebrated every broken record, encouraged him through every hardship. This is my boy, and up until now, it's all been completely one sided.  

So why me? Why not his sisters? Parents? His boys, his brothers? Why not Paddy? You can't say he only told me because he wants to get laid. He's Liam Payne, he could have any girl in the world . Hell he could be hooking up with  a different girl every night while on tour and I would never know. For some reason though, I knew he wasn't. Many things I've learned over the years that I've obsessed over this beautiful man child, and one is that he wants to be loved. He needs relationships because he needs an element of stability to hold on to. Right now, as strange as it seems, me, Sydney Kate Fletcher, crazy stalker fangirl, is his anchor.  

"I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have bugged so much... I'm so sorry."  

What else can I say? He did nothing wrong. Pushing my fingers through his hair, I say the only thing I can think of that could possibly turn this day around.  

"Come on babe. Let's take a shower."  

He lifts his head from my shoulder to show me his perfectly confused look.  

"I just want to take your mind off of this. Come on, hot water will relax you." 

Liam's eyes stay wide with wonder and curiosity, but he still stands from the couch and allows me to lead him to the bathroom. 

Slow and slightly unsure of myself, I close the door behind us. I let go of his hand briefly to open the match book on the sink counter and light the candle. Liam's arm s sink around my waist and his lips find my neck during my momentary absence.  

I turn around and link my arms around his shoulders, pressing my lips and hips to his with the confidence I normally only find after a few drinks. He leans in deeper, parting my mouth open and shoving his tongue inside with an amount of desperation I would find repulsive in any other situation.  

My back arches as he pushes me harder against the bathroom sink. One hand flat against the wall I let it trail down until my fingers slide against the light switch, leaving us in nothing but pure candle light.  

Liam's hands find my hips and he lifts me up onto the counter, pushing up the hem of my shirt he teases my thighs with his rough fingers until I willingly open them for more.