Chapter 18

Kayla walked back into the Rath'Varein family quarters with Alec and Seara. Carl had gone off to retrieve the rest of the crew.

"I'm going to go make sure the rooms are set up for our guests. I'll be back in a few minutes. Please make yourself at home."

After Seara disappeared, Alec walked over to the bar area and poured himself a drink. He turned to Kayla. "Would you like something?"

"Sure, I guess."

He poured her a glass and brought it over to her. Taking a sip, she said, "So I didn't get a chance to ask you about that girl."

"Who?"

Kayla made another bad attempt at fluttering her eyelashes. "You know, the tall, leggy blonde hanging all over you earlier?"

Alec chuckled. "You must mean Celeste."

"Right. Her." She swirled the drink around her glass. It probably wasn't any of her business, but she couldn't help being curious. "Who is she anyway? Do you two go to dinner together a lot?"

Alec considered the question for a moment before responding. "Yes, we go to dinner together every now and then."

Kayla nodded. "It seemed like you two are pretty close."

Alec raised an eyebrow. "We've spent time together and enjoyed one another's company."

She bit her lip and peered up at him. "You can connect with her the same way you do with me?"

"She's part of the Inner Circle," he said with a chuckle. "Everyone with our backgrounds has the ability to link with someone. Some people are more desirable based on the amount of energy they can channel. We're naturally drawn to those who are either close to or exceed our same level of power."

"Have you done that? With her, I mean?"

Alec stepped closer and said disapprovingly, "I don't ask you what goes on between you and Carl."

"Point taken," Kayla muttered and looked away. She deserved the verbal slap. It wasn't logical, but she didn't like the thought of Celeste sharing the same sort of connection she'd had with Alec. She wasn't sure if she was ready to examine the reasons though.

"When you're ready to get rid of your distractions, I'll get rid of mine," he challenged.

She gave him a sharp look, putting her glass down a little harder than she intended. "Carl is not a distraction. I was just curious about how this works."

"So you say," he replied, calling her bluff. He took another sip of his drink. "Is there anything else you'd like to know?"

Damn him. He's got that whole mysterious and sexy thing going on.

Alec chuckled. "Thank you."

Kayla scowled. "Get out of my head."

"You still have a small connection with me. You never removed it."

She sat on the couch with a sigh. Sure, she could remove the connection, but the thought of separating herself from him was upsetting. Alec walked over and sat next to her. Draping his arm over the back of the couch, he said, "I don't mind. I rather enjoy it. But then again, I don't have any problem admitting I'm incredibly attracted to you."

Kayla frowned. "You make my life confusing."

He leaned closer to her. "I know you're attracted to Carl and have feelings for him, but I also know you're attracted to me and have feelings for me." He reached up and lightly caressed her face, sending chills through her. "The difference is," he said softly, running his thumb over her bottom lip, "I can touch you in ways he never can."