Chapter 2

The coordinate navigation system flashed on Kayla's bike monitor to indicate they were nearing their destination. She let Veridian know of their approach through her headset and slowed down.

Carl's facility was substantially larger than the largest ruin rat camp. It was also a permanent fixture, built with specially treated building materials designed to withstand the climate's effects. More than half a dozen bikes were parked at the front overhang. Kayla had a moment of speeder-envy, eyeing the bike closest to her. Both its wheels had the new bionic skin to automatically adapt its traction based on the traveling surface. Even the mounted solar cells were shiny, polished to a gleam and sparkling in the sunlight.

She wrinkled her nose and patted her bike affectionately. Sure, the other speeders were more than a little pretty, but they probably couldn't keep up with her retrofitted transport. Hell, who was she kidding? She was tempted to steal those tires on her way out the door. With a sigh, Kayla disengaged her engine and climbed off, careful not to damage any of the scavenged items stored in her backpack.

Veridian pulled up beside her, hesitating before dismounting. He'd been upset about this visit, even going so far as to suggest they consider canceling. It had taken her a while to bring him around, but he still wasn't fully on board. Hoping to lighten the mood, she gestured to the size of the base.

"Think he's compensating for something?"

Veridian groaned and shook his head. "Kayla, that's awful."

Pleased she had cut through some of his nervousness, she grinned and stepped through the UV guard at the front entry. The sight of Carl and Cruncher waiting made it obvious Carl's crew had been tracking them since they approached the facility. Unsurprised, Kayla pulled off her helmet and jacket and hung them on the rack by the entry. Veridian followed her lead.

"Glad you decided to join us," Carl said, extending his hand in greeting.

"Yeah, yeah," Veridian muttered but took the proffered hand.

Kayla stepped forward, placing her hands on her hips. "Let's get this moving. I'm a busy girl. Business first, or the tour?"

Carl's mouth curved into a slight smile. "And that's one of the many things I like about you. You get right to it. Let's go to my office. You can show me what you've brought to sell."

"Suit yourself," she replied and followed Carl down a long hallway. She noticed Cruncher followed a few steps behind her and Veridian, careful to make sure they didn't stray. She'd have to find an opportune moment to distract them so Veridian could plant the bug. The other bug rested in her pocket. Although it was smaller than her fingernail, her awareness of it made it feel more like a large speeder.

Electronic dividers with the capability of blocking out light and sound surrounded Carl's office. The costly technology gave the occupants a large measure of privacy. Despite herself, Kayla was impressed with the extravagance and interested to see what other gadgets they had in their camp.

Carl stepped over to his desk and waited while she opened her backpack. She spread out the jewelry and carving on the desk.

Cruncher let out a low whistle. "Holy shit, girl. Did you smuggle all of that out of Sector Twelve yesterday?"

She sat on the corner of the desk and feigned innocence. "I don't know what you're talking about, Cruncher. These trinkets have been in my family for generations. I told you I was just taking in the sights yesterday."

Carl gave Kayla a hard look before turning to assess the merchandise. He studied each piece carefully before moving on to the next one.

"I may have underestimated you," Carl admitted. He pointed to the collection. "I'll give you twenty-five hundred for the lot. That's a final offer. There's no negotiation on this one."