𝟓|| 𝐋

⇢ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞 ⇠
❝ᴸ❞

You feel your heart drop when you hear those words. He's messing with us... right? There's no way L would just show himself. You stop rummaging through your bag.

In the corner of your eye you see L turn his gaze to you. You realize you had made it obvious you were listening in to their conversation. Shit.

You look up at the guy who claims to be L. "Ah, sorry for eavesdropping! I didn't mean to, it's just that Light didn't seem to know you and you looked kind of... odd. No offense. I was just curious."

He looked a bit intrigued. It was if he could tell there was more to you two than what met the eye. "Don't worry about it," 'L' said, waving you off.

You let it go, now paying attention to the headmaster who was informing everyone about the rules on campus. Even so, you caught a few words from their conversation here and there.

"I can kind of see why you two get along. Is she your girlfriend?"

You feel your heart quicken at 'L''s question. Although you made sure that the ones around you couldn't see your change of interests, you felt a spark of curiosity slowly build inside of you, wondering what Light is going to say. It's not like you two were together, but in the end, you were partners. Partners in crime.

"No. Not yet, at least." you hear him respond. You hold back a smile as you keep pretending to be listening to the headmaster.

"I see." 'L' continues to stare at Light. He definetly had an eye out for Light, and the fact that he wasn't hiding it wasn't making it easier. Whether this guy is L or not, he is trouble, I can tell.

As you are leaving the hall the welcoming ceremony was held in, you feel someone grab your wrist and pull you aside from everyone else. You turn a corner and as you were about to free yourself from the grip the stranger had on your wrist, you realize it was 'L'. You relax as he lets go of your arm.

He looks at you for a second and you gulp. You didn't like the way he pierced you with his dark orbs. His eyes reminded you of a cave filled with mysterious beings, in which beams of sunlight haven't set a foot in forever; just the way 'L''s secrets haven't seen the light... just yet.

He takes in a deep breath, as if expecting the worst. "I want you to join the task force" he says, straight to the point.

Your eyes widen at his statement. "What?" is all you could say. You look down at yourself. He only wants to use me to learn more about Light. you think. Well, it's going to be harder than that to make me talk.

"I want you to help with the Kira case."

Even though he knew that if Light turned out to be a real suspect of Kira you'd be very likely to be his accomplice, he still want you to join him on this case. Does he think of me as a victim? you look back up at him. Does he think I'm gullible enough to fall for Light's tricks? you smile widely internally. Real maniacs do exist, L, you just don't realize you're faced with one right now.

Even though 'L' could have you under his supervision now, this was better than you had expected. This way you could help Light and tell him what the police was up to and if they were suspecting him or not. All you needed to do now was to not make your intentions obvious. "But how am I going to be helpful? I'm not smart like Light, go ask him or something." you turn around to leave.

"Because Light is not you, and I want you to help us" he kept looking at you and you turn around. "If I wanted Light's help I would've just asked him. So, are you going to join us?"

You take a moment, pretending to think about your answer. "I dont knoww... I know I'm supposed to be eager to help catch a serial killer but I'm also a college student now and I have my own life, and I don't know if I can manage both."

L doesn't take his eyes off of you.

You sigh. "Fine, I'll do it. I'll join the task force."

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

The next day you wake up early to get to school on time. But as you walk out your house you see a black car parked right in front of your home. You approach it cautiously and you take a step back when the door opens. But you relax as soon as you realize who it was.

"L. What are you doing here?"

"I came to pick you up. Come on, we're going to work on the Kira case." he says.

"But I have to get to college!" you protest.

"We already took care of that. We told the teachers you'd be absent today."

You sigh and get in the backseat. You look out the window the whole way there. Soon enough you reach a huge hotel, and you step out of the car. You look up at the tall building that laid in front of you.

"Is this supposed to be the headquarters?" you say, unimpressed.

"Yes," 'L' replies. "There's only a few left of us working on this case." he finishes and starts walking towards the building.

"I guess it makes sense." you say, and start following him.

He couldn't see you behind him, so you grin to yourself. You don't know what you got yourself into, L.