Seven

It was starting to get dark outside, so we all climbed back into the van. Liam was driving, and I was in the passenger seat. Chubs, Zu, and Ruby sat in the back.

"All three thousand of them got out?"

"You had three thousand kids at your camp?" Liam asked, briefly glancing at her before focusing his attention back on the road.

"Why?" Ruby looked at him, "How many were in your camp?"

"Three thousand at most," He told her. "Are you sure? Three thousand?"

"Well, it's not like they gave us an official number. There were thirty kids per cabin and about a hundred of those. There used to be more, but they sent the Reds, Oranges, and Yellows away."

"Which camp was that?" I curiously asked.

"It's none of your business," She replied, "I didn't ask where you were."

"We were in Caledonia, Ohio," Chubs said, and I glared at him, "They stuck us in an abandoned elementary school. We broke out. Your turn."

"Why, so you can report me to the nearest PSF station?"

"Yeah, because clearly, we'd be able to file a sighting report in this area," I sarcastically said.

Ruby huffed and responded, "Fine. I was in Thurmond."

"Are you serious?" Liam asked. "Crazy Thurmond, with the FrankenKiddies?"

"Liam..." I warned in a low tone.

"They've stopped testing," She said, feeling strangely defensive.

"No, I just - I just..."

"Use your words, buddy," Chubs directed. 

"I thought it was all filled up, you know? That's why they bused us to Ohio."

"How old were you when you went into camp?" Chubs asked, changing the subject. His voice was even, but I saw his face fall, "You were young, right?"

"The day after my tenth birthday." 

Liam blew a low whistle.

"How long were you guys in Caledonia?"

"Zu was there for about two years. I was there for a year and a half. Lee and Lily were there for a year or so," Chubs explained.

"They're still creating new camps and sending kids to them?" Ruby asked.

"Not so much anymore," Liam replied, "The youngest set - Zu's age - they were hit the hardest. People got scared, and the birthrate dropped off even before the government tried banning new births. Most of the kids that are still being sent to camps are just like us. They escaped detection during collections or tried to run."

"What about you? I thought..." Ruby asked me, but I cut her off.

"You think I'm going to risk myself for my powers? No way. No one knows what happened to all of the Reds,"

I can feel myself getting heated, my eyes dangerously close to turning red. Zu hugged me, and I calmed down. Liam glanced at me to see if I was okay. Then, the van fell into a comfortable silence, but Ruby again spoke up.

"If the League was protecting us from the Tracer shooting at us, then what makes them so bad?"

"Well, the enemy of my enemy is my friend?" I chuckle, shaking my head. "Yeah, like that ever works."

"The woman that I met risked a lot to get me out. She said that the League wanted to help me. And I ran away. But what if I was wrong? What if they can? I don't understand-"

"You don't want help from the League! Okay?" Liam cut her off. It was quiet for a moment before Chubs cleared his throat.

"All right, Zu. It's time for math class. I know it's better with Lily, so don't be petty with me,"

"Listen, my brother joined the League first. And he's always right, so I joined, too. They just made us so many promises. Taught us how to use our powers. At first on little things, like dummies, smaller stuff. Then they showed us how to break an arm. I didn't sign up to be a soldier, so I left. And I'll die before I go back."

I looked at him in a mixture of shock and betrayal. My face fell, and I spoke in a quiet voice, "You didn't tell us any of this."

Liam looked at me, his face softened. "I didn't want to scare you. I was afraid you'll leave if I did. Sorry, darlin'."

I smiled at the nickname, and I immediately replied, "I'm not leaving any time soon, hon."

That seemed to calm him down. I closed my eyes, processing everything. Chubs and Zu smiled knowingly at the interaction. However, I can still hear everything going on. I snapped my eyes open when I heard Liam yell, again. Chubs and Zu glanced at him before focusing their attention back on the book.

"...For the first time in six years, someone was nice to me. So I'm just saying, maybe my experience was a little different from yours."

I scoffed, already getting tired of listening to their conversation. Both of them looked at me, "Damn, you got him worked up. They might have good intentions, but their methods seem really flawed. No offense or anything, but why are you so willing to join them if you barely know anything about them?"

Liam added to my comment, "The League's not your friend, okay? You made the right choice. Trust me."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Whether you trust me or not, I don't care," He was already fed up with the conversation, "Sooner or later, you're gonna learn that the only ones who can help us are us."

It was quiet after that. Ruby and Liam didn't talk to each other. I looked at Liam in worry.

           ********

After a long silence, I sat up, turning towards the window. It was dark outside, the van had stopped, and we were in the middle of the road. Liam turned to me. "Lily," He called softly, and I faced him.

"I'm sorry. For everything. It was unnecessary."

"No, it's... fine. I was just a bit shocked. That's all."

"No, it's not fine. I lost my temper. I shouldn't have mentioned it. I mean, yeah, I left. It's just... I was scared, and I really didn't know what to do after..."

Liam rambled on, completely ignoring the other kids around him. I turned to face Chubs and Zu, giving them an expression that reads, Help me!

Chubs widened his eyes. He has never seen Liam like this. Never. Usually, he's cool, calm, and collected, but now, he's rambling, as if he completely changed from who he was at camp. Zu stared back and forth between me and Liam, not knowing how to help. I sighed.

"Liam. Liam, Lee! Oh, for ...  Lee, I want you to relax! Let me tell you, the person I'm into would never give up just because there's an obstacle! His courage can never waver!"

I widened my eyes when I realized what I had said. Chubs, Zu, and Ruby became silent and were now observing the interaction. Liam slowly turned towards me.

"What did you just say?" He asked, and I stuttered a little bit.

"I said... Unwavering courage,"

"No, the previous line," He corrected.

"I..." My face suddenly heat up in embarrassment and I quickly turned around, "I didn't say anything,"

"She said the person she's into would never give up just because there's an obstacle," Chubs repeated, and I covered my face. Liam smiled.

"Understood, Heiress Lily,"