Chapter 17

You had met the boy Anthony. He Seemed like a lovely boy and the too of them talked and talked.

You stayed in the place for two days, your eyes sometimes looking over at the road incase of Turpin. You heard a noise and jumped, looking around at the doorway.

"Don't worry it's only me" Anthony said. "With some food"

You smiled and sat at the little table as Anthony put the pies on the table and you started to eat when you hearer a voice downstairs.

"You where followed Anthony" you hissed. He went white and closed the door.

Suddenly the door was banging. You went white and coward into the corner of the room. Joanne grabbed Anthony in worry as he tried to hold the door unsuccessfully and it opened. Turpin stood behind Beadle, his face thunderous.

You looked him in the eye and cowered. His eyes were dark and angry, he seemed like he could kill you just with the thought. Beadle grabbed Joanna and Turpin strode to where you lay, shrunk into the wall. "Get up" he ordered and pulled you into him.

"No, no please" you cried.

"You have disobeyed me for the last time." he pulled you towards the carriage. Joanna sat, shaking. You hugged each other as the carriage.

"I'm sorry Joanna" you mumbled. "I am so sorry"

"It's not your fault" she stuttered.

The carriage suddenly stopped and you were taken out. Beadle and Turpin where nowhere to be seen and you were pushed towards a large building by two large men.

"I demand to know where we are being taken" you shouted.

"Shut up" the man grunted and you were pushed toward the doors.

You knew what this was. You had read about lunatic asylums and how inhumane they could be. You stayed calm and looked at Joanna. "Joanna. Please stay calm, don't give them a reason to hurt you" Joanna stared at you as you went into the building. "Don't cry, don't scream, don't do anything." you were pulled away from Joanna and pushed into a room while Joanna was taken to some stairs.

You were taken into a room where other women sat or stood. Many of them were shouting or crying, some in baths while some in straitjacket. "I wish to speak to my lawyer" you said loudly. 

"Shut up loony" the guy muttered and pushed you into a small cubicle. He had a small checklist and started pocking and prodding. "May I speak to my lawyer?" you asked again. 

"The Judge Turpin sent you here" he said. "So no"

You sighed. There was no leaving. The man carried on. "Are you menstruating?" he asked

"No" you muttered and looked away.

"Are you pregnant?" he asked. 

"I don't know"

The man frowned. "Are you sexually active?"

You nodded and rubbed your hands together.

"You don't seem crazy" he muttered. You kept your mouth shut and let him ramble until he flipped the page over.

"You seem healthy, not at risk to yourself or others, the right honourable judge has paid for you to have three square meals" he muttered flipping through. "However your associate a Ms Joanna has her own room" he chuckled.

"I am glad she does, she is only a child" you said. 

"Well then, out you go" he said. You did as he said and walked out into the main room, sitting against a pillar. You wished to get out of this place. It was loud and scary, your heartbeat when a doctor or patient went near you but at the same time, you didn't want to go back to the Judge.

Dinner was served, it was a bowl of something suspicious, you frowned and pocked it. You took a mouthful and spat it out. It was disgusting. You put it to the side and sighed. The night was difficult, you had a thin blanket which you held close to you. One thing went around your mind. If Turpin loved you, why were you here? 

The next day you broke down and started to sob. You needed to get out. You stomach needed food and you had little sleep. You wished for your warm bed and your paints and Turpin. 

A nurse walked over. "Shut it" he muttered.

"I am just crying" you mumbled.

"You are allowing others to cry" he said. 

"I'm not" you mumbled. Before you could say anymore you were smacked with the broom he had in his hand. The wooden top hitting your skin.

"I'll stop" you mumbled.

"Good" the man said and he walked off. 

It had been two days. You had managed to eat one meal which made you feel sick. You had to get out. You had been beaten once again for crying and you had no sleep. 

You stood and went over to a doctor who was patrolling, "I wish to talk to Judge Turpin"

"Why?" he asked.

"I want to seek his forgiveness" you mumbled.

"for what?"

"Going against him" you mumbled.

"Your crazy" the man said, "get away"

"I'm pregnant" you shouted.

The man stared and ushered you out of the large room and toward the stairs.

"who is the father?" he asked.

"Judge Turpin" you mumbled.

He locked you in the single room and you laid on the bed and immediately fell asleep.