83. Tonight

"If you want her so much, why don't you take her from me yourself?" Holy Priest Gideon challenged Ace with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"What did you say...?" Ace murmured.

"Teehee~☆"

Gideon gave a light, ringing giggle that, although was very bright, sounded oddly eerie.

Something in the back of my mind was telling me that he was planning something...

But, to be honest, I had no idea what he was trying to do.

It was as if though he was just like a child who only wanted to play with his "toys."

And by "toys," I mean everyone around him, including Ace and me.

"You're quite a doormat, my dear Ace. If you don't step up your game, someone might just steal away your precious Cordelia, you know," the Holy Priest sighed before clicking his tongue three times as if he was very disappointed in Ace.

Ace didn't say a single word as he stared at Gideon with a clearly upset look in his eyes.

"Oh, but it's okay if you don't do anything. Men like me would appreciate it very much. Right, Cordelia?" Gideon said before he turned to me and gave me a light squeeze around my waist.

Umm...

"...Huh? Uh...Why would men care...?" I asked.

"Eh?"

"I'm not very popular. The only people I ever talk to are the male leads—uh...I mean, my family, fiance, and friends," I explained with an awkward laugh.

"Is that so...?"

"Yes, I've never been approached by anyone before either...so I think you might have the wrong idea," I smiled politely as I lightly shook away his arms around my waist.

Then, once Gideon's arms were loose enough, I stepped away from him, gave an apologetic bow, and backed away as quickly as I could.

Hmm...

I wonder what gave Gideon the idea that there were hoards of men after me...?

As far as I was concerned, I never made contact with a single boy during my time at Greenwood Academy—except for the twins, Wolfe, Principal PomPom, Lady Clementine, and the teachers...all of whom never expressed a single ounce of interest in me.

"So...if you think that Ace would become jealous just because you have me in your arms, you would be wrong. Ace doesn't think of me that way. The two of us are just lifelong companions," I said with a tiny hint of sadness.

Suddenly, the entire room went completely silent but, since I was a little lost in my thoughts, I barely noticed.

I felt a small pang in my heart.

That's right...Ace and I were just lifelong companions...that's all...

Darn...

Why the heck was I becoming so hurt by the words that came from my own mouth...?

"......Pffft! I heard so many stories about the famed impenetrable fortress, Lady Cyllia, but I thought the rumors were over-exaggerated! I was wrong! They were all under-exaggerated!" Gideon suddenly burst out with laughter.

For some reason, he was laughing as if though he just discovered the funniest, most ironic thing in the world.

He even wheezed a little...!

When he finally calmed down, he rubbed away a few tears from his eyes and looked behind me with a smirk.

"Oh? It looks like someone isn't very happy..." he chuckled.