Councilman Brookes

I walked into the Council’s building, a small place that not only housed the seven council members, but also a blood storage unit that held hundreds of blood bags. Ever since my sentence, I’d become very friendly to the place.

            As soon as I stepped into the building, I knew something was wrong. Instead of the normal intimidating atmosphere the place seemed to smother me with, there was nothing but a sense of just utter wrongness. Yet, looking around, nothing seemed to be wrong.

            The walls were the same striking white; the floors were the same dark wood. I looked around, my mind suddenly seeing how empty the building was. There was not a single soul roaming the hallways, not a single Supernatural filling the rooms with their complaints. It was empty.

            “Hello?” I yelled out, but no one answered.

            I tried to turn and leave, but my body started moving towards the Council Chambers instead. Nothing I did could stop my feet from going forward, as if I were just an onlooker trapped within my own body.

            I drifted through the giant double doors, through the Chambers, and into Councilman Brooks study.

            Councilman Brooks was a Shifter, a kind man who could turn into almost any animal, and also had the extremely rare ability to shift into other people. Although, why I was in his study was beyond me.

            His office filled me with a dark foreboding, the shadows turning menacing around his black desk. The room was full of books and pictures of Councilman Brooks’ family, but the Councilman himself was nowhere to be found.

            Suddenly, a bright flash blinded me, my head exploding with pain as a woman appeared in the room. The pain was quickly forgotten as fear crawled like spiders across my skin, the godlike beauty of the woman not enough to hide the evil that so clearly lurked within. She was beautiful though, her skin the color of smooth chocolate and her hair a long and wild black around her small face. Her eyes reminded me of an emerald, glaring around the room as she stalked to the Councilman’s desk. And then, she spoke and I swear that it felt like the shadows grew, suffocating me as her snakelike voice slithered around the room.

            “He is not even here yet! Do they expect me to wait for him?” she ranted, thin lips curled into a grimace. “If only my brothers and sister could see me now, they would laugh I have no doubt. The infallible Lucy Caro, taking orders from human scum. Who have I become?”

            My heart sped up as she said her name, tremors taking over my body because I suddenly knew who she was. A Fallen. Why was she here?

            Heavy footsteps sounded outside the office, the door opening to reveal Councilman Brooks. He didn’t see Lucy at first, sitting with a menacing smile on her face, but when he did his skin seemed to leech of color. “What are you doing in my office?” he asked, his deep voice calm even as his dark eyes darted around the room.

            Lucy stood up, smiling like she was a wolf who just found its prey. “Councilman Brooks, wonderful to see you again.” she replied, voice laced with humor as she took a step towards the Councilman. “It seems you have not been performing very well, possibly even helping to harbor the girl. The Knights are not happy with you.”

            Councilman Brooks paled even further, swaying in place before he grabbed onto the door to hold him straight. “What are you going to do to me?” His fear filled the room, so thick I could smell it in the air. My vision dimmed as Lucy cackled, her laugh like glass against a chalkboard as my body slammed into Councilman Brooks. I could feel my consciousness melding with his, his fear becoming mine as sweat gathered on my-his-our forehead.

            “I hope you said goodnight to your little girls before you left,” Lucy said, grabbing my-his-our shoulders in her arms as I-he-we struggled to escape her strong grip.

            Her hands became fire against the skin I was trapped in, her green eyes becoming enveloped in black as screams filled the office. I could hear Councilman Brook’s agony in my head, as the fire ripped his Immortality from his soul, darkness taking over my vision as the body I was in burned to a crisp.