Secretly Loving You: Chapter 8

"Bonnie, I think I'm in love." 

I hear her groan over the phone. That's some reaction. "We all know you're in love with Aiden, babe. That's way old news. Besides, he's engaged. It's pretty bad to be in love with an engaged guy, I'm just saying." 

I stir on my bed, pulling my polka dotted comforter over my shoulders. "No...I mean with someone else. And it's too early to mention Aiden. It's barely eight and you can't get me started thinking about him already. I'm trying to forget him, remember?" 

I can practically feel her eyes roll through the phone. She shouldn't be the one pissed. It's Saturday morning, and I woke up at an extremely early hour to Bonnie yelling at me over the phone for leaving her at the party. Apparently, it wasn't Jake who she was dancing with, it was some rando dude she met at the party. She called it 'harmless dancing', but I wasn't so sure.  Anyway, Jake left Ian's party after just twenty minutes because he was feeling sick.  So, in her words, I left her in the hands of any stupid crazy person that would take her home.

I felt bad at first, but after all the stupid things she's done to me, like having to pick her up from the side of the road because she was so incredibly drunk, I consider it payback. 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. And you're saying you are in love with Chase after just one date? Seriously?" She whispers so quietly, I can barely hear her. Everyone's still sleeping in her house too. Bonnie has two older twin sisters, and a newborn baby brother. I've always been envious of her family, not having any siblings, but they seem like they're my siblings too. I've seen them so much throughout the years of our friendship that they are pretty much my family. The family I've always longed for. Bonnie continues, " I mean, I guess you could really like him, but I don't know about love." 

Bonnie didn't believe in love until she met Jake. She thought being 'in love' was just for the movies. But when she and Jake starting dating, her perspective changed completely. 

I remember the day they first talked like it was yesterday. Bonnie and I were at the mall for a usual Friday night hangout around three years ago, and I spotted a really cute guy I once saw in school checking her out. I pointed him out, and she didn't do as much as blush. Bonnie, being completely drop dead gorgeous, was used to boys constantly staring at her. It's kind of hard not to, especially for guys. We kept on walking, but in the corner of my eye I saw him coming to approach us. He said a few charming sentences to her, and that was it. Bonnie was hooked. He asked her out for dinner the next weekend, and she accepted immediately. From the sidelines, I could tell the sparks flew instantly. At the time, I was jealous, but as their relationship grew stronger in the next couple months I was happy for her. 

Bonnie admitted to me that she was in love after around a year of them dating. I was shocked that she told it to me in those words, but I already knew that she felt it. Sometimes, especially with your best friend, you can just tell. Jake told her that he loved her first, not even a week later, on their anniversary. Bonnie's been head over heels ever since, so she can't be judging being in love anymore. That would be hypocritical. 

I sigh. I really didn't know what I felt for Chase, I just knew it was a hell of a lot better than the hurtful feelings I have with Aiden. With Aiden I'm always getting put down, but with Chase it's different. He openly likes me back, flirts with me. And it feels good for a change. "I don't know if it's love. All I know is that I like Chase. A lot. Maybe not as much as I like Aiden, but he'll probably grow on me." 

"Yeah. Not love. And Aiden's getting married right as senior year is over, which is soon. You have to be ready for that. The sooner you get over him, the better."