Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I can't believe I'm doing this…

That single thought was what ran through Alyssa's head as she walked through the spaceport. She had left the Irregular  Hunter HQ suddenly, a single thought running through her mind. All she could think about was Colonel Ryan and Jacob fighting, and she would do anything to stop it. Moving further into the building she felt more and more determined to stop the fight, but when she reached the top floor loading dock…everything changed.

As Alyssa climbed the stairs she could see a figure lying on the shuttle dock, and immediately she froze.

Is it Jacob? Or…COLONEL RYAN!

With a sudden burst of speed, Alyssa moved as quickly as she could toward the figure. But when she saw the fallen fighter up close she staggered backward, clutching the railing for support. Lying on the ground before her was Colonel Ryan, her brother, dead.

Alyssa fell to her knees at her brother's side, and tears rushed down her face. Her brother, the brother she loved, was dead…gone forever.

How…how could this…why? WHY! W-Who….Jacob!

Alyssa's plans to stop the fight might have been destroyed, but she left the spaceport with a new goal in mind.

Destroying Jacob for what he did.

How could he…he killed Brother….he broke his promise, he lied!

Alyssa bent low and picked up a small chip from near Colonel Ryan's body, and she burst into tears yet again as she held it.

...He lied….he killed him…and he will pay!

The battle was almost over. As Alex and Jacob's shuttle docked at the Eclipse Cannon, both Humanoids took a deep sigh. Inside was General Hawley, the last obstacle standing in the way of peace. But as Jacob marched inside the satellite, he could remember Colonel Ryan's words.

"…this is my duty Jacob…even if I don't like General Hawley's plan. I am a good soldier…surrender is something I cannot do…"

It was Jacob's duty, to strike General Hawley down a restore peace. But the red Humanoid couldn't help but be haunted by the thought, that maybe…he could have done something to have stopped this in the first place. Why would General Hawley, a peaceful man, order an attack as he did? What where his motives? These where just a few questions that plagued Jacob's mind as he and Alex entered the satellite.

Upon entering the large structure, they made their way through different sections of the building. At the start was a small control room, mainly having power over the heating and air for the satellite. As they moved further they entered mechanical chambers, where large wires and tubes covered the floors. After making their way across these areas, and having walk for some time, the duo reached a large open area, the center of the complex.

They stood on a balcony, railings and stairs leading them down slowly to the ground floor. Just as they were about to descended the stairs, the two hunters heard voices from below. Hiding around the corner of the open door, the two listened closely to the conversation.

"Everything is ready General Hawley. My men have completed their end of the job, and now all you need to do is finish it." Said a voice, belonging to an unknown, but strangely familiar, person.

"Good," grunted General Hawley, "then today shall mark the beginning of a new era, an era of peace for all Humanoids."

"Yes General Hawley, the goal you have so much desired, is at last at hand."

"…and the Hunters?" asked General Hawley, as he and the unknown man began to exit the room.

"…They are of no importance…my agents have plans for them."

Alex and Jacob came out of hiding and stood on the balcony, their "guests" gone from sight. Alex turned to his red partner with a serious face.

"Who was that guy?"

"I don't know…but he felt…familiar." Jacob said, trying to search his mind for an answer.

"…What should we do now? If there are two of them, and they both fight, things could get messy."

"You go on ahead, I'll follow up behind and we can join together in the master control room. No doubt that's where General Hawley is headed."

"Right, I'll meet you there!" Alex said, running toward the steps and quickly making his way down them. Moments after the blue Humanoid had left the room; Jacob was startled by the sound of footsteps moving his way. As the red Humanoid made his way down the ground floor, the area to soon be the fighting arena, he watched his opponent step from the doorway and descend the stairs to meet him.

But it was when he saw his opponent that he was most shocked, and he let it show. For before him stood a person he would never have thought to cross blades with.

The figure standing before him was Alyssa.

"Alyssa! What are you doing here?" Jacob exclaimed, relaxing slightly at seeing such a familiar friend.

"…How could you?" Alyssa asked weakly, her voice barely audible to Jacob.

"What?"

"HOW COULD YOU!" Alyssa yelled, her outburst making Jacob jump backward in fright.

"Alyssa!"

"You killed him! How could you, you promised! How could you do it, how can you just stand there living when Ryan is DEAD!"

"Alyssa, I had to fight him! I'm sorry, I didn't mean for him to die!"

"LIAR! YOU KILLED MY BROTHER….and….now….I'll kill you…" Alyssa cried, tears running down her face.

"W-What!"

Alyssa smiled at Jacob softly. "…I'm sorry Jacob…but….I will avenge Brother….you will pay for what you've done!"

There was a sudden burst of bright light as Alyssa activated the chip she had taken from her brother's body. The chips main function was to control Ryan's battle functions, and with it activating within Alyssa she began to feel an enormous amount of power wash over her. Her own abilities for peacemaking where warped as the blood thirsty powers of her brother where pushed into her system. Large pieces of metal where tore from the area around Alyssa, and they cling to her body like a magnet. After a few seconds the metal had created a suit around Alyssa.

Jacob drew his blade, more in defense than threat. "Alyssa! What are you doing!"

"…I must do this…I will do this…I will avenge Brother!"

"Alyssa stop! Please, think about what you're doing! I can't hurt you Alyssa, I WON'T!"

Alyssa cried once again, her voice echoing from within her suit. "…I don't want to hurt you either Jacob."

"Then why fight me?" Jacob yelled.

"….I don't want to hurt you….I want to KILL you!"

And so, the fight had begun.