Chapter 17

Nathan wasn't sure why, but Avery had never looked as beautiful as she did this morning.  The past two days had been very demanding, and he had little time to even think of their engagement.  He had been so consumed with Lafaye's controversial work that his time apart from Avery had made him long to be with her.

She sat across from him, picking at her fruit plate, constantly smiling as she relayed yesterday's events.  Her thick blonde hair curled down to her shoulders in an "S" shape, sometimes covering the side of her face, forcing her to periodically play with it in order to see him. 

"So I couldn't believe he actually said that, 'do you mind if I drive?'" she chuckled, her eyes twinkling with amusement.  "Who says something like that?"

Nathan had only been half listening.  He let her tell her stories because he had very little to say himself.  Lafaye swore him to secrecy, and rightly so.  Nathan had mixed feelings about his assignment, and he knew that Avery would certainly disapprove.

He wished that they could have more time together.  Breakfast at a restaurant was nice, due to their busy schedules, but it was no replacement for peaceful, relaxed, quality time.

"It was a place—how do you say—very sordidus, but I was so hungry that it tasted like a four star meal," she laughed. 

Nathan had only been partially listening to the story.  He nodded and took her hand, saying, "I'm sorry that I haven't been as available lately.  Lafaye has me incredibly busy, but it will not be forever. 

Her expression was a bit confused, "I know, Nathan."

"Avoiding a full evacuation requires a lot of time and attention, not only for the Regulus but for us all."

"I know."

"I'm just sorry for dragging you into this, Avery."

She pulled her hand back and said, "I volunteered to help you, Nathan.  You know how I feel about Lafaye.  I do not trust him, and I think he may try to hurt any indigena who cross his path.  At the very least he does not care what happens to them."

Nathan couldn't disagree, but part of him understood why Lafaye felt that way.  "Well, he said to pass along his thanks for watching this fellow.  Lafaye is very aware of your task, although I think he is under the impression that you have him under your wing."

"He trusts me," she said. "I know how to handle him, even without psy."

"That's not what I mean," Nathan said.  "Leaving him alone is risky.  Who's to say that he didn't run off somewhere last night?"

"How am I supposed to watch him every hour?" she protested.  "I still have my new job to worry about, plus the botanical research."

Nathan shook his head, "I know.  But this indigena is more important than anything else.  If you want to keep Lafaye's nose away from him, I would be sure you have him in your sights at all times."

Avery appeared troubled at that, but nodded.  "I'm going to have to talk to Marshall and make sure he knows I'll be away from the office for a while.  He's not going to like that, Nathan.  He promoted me only two days ago.  You know, I had three missed calls from him last night."

"He has your cell number?" Nathan scowled, unable to contain his jealousy.  He was convinced that her boss was attracted to her, and while he knew the feeling was not rational he couldn't ignore it.

She looked at him incredulously and said, "You're unbelievable."

"Why?  Because I can see when a man is interested in you?"