05

❝ — And all my friends are tired
Of hearing how much I miss you, but
I kinda feel sorry for them
'cause they'll never know you the way that I do.❞

I have two best friends. Maia and Layla. They were the first to find out about my relationship with Sam. I'd say they called it. They always knew it would happen. Maybe it was a flook? Or boy do they know me well.

I remember telling them all about my dates with Sam, how sweet he was, exaggerating the details just to make them gag. To be fair, they asked.

Those memories, the sweetest ones,  are cloudy now. Now all I remember is crying in their arms for hours as I told them about our arguments. Eventually, our break-up. 

. . . .

"Don't cry hun!" Maia said, stroking my hair.

"Yeah. He isn't worth your  tears." Layla sighed, wrapping me in a hug. 

"I can't- can't believe after all this-" my eyes stung from crying, their colour a bloodshot red, swollen and painful. My voice was breaking. I had no energy. I was lifeless.

"How could he say that to me-?" I choked, crying into Maia's shoulder as Layla got up to go to the kitchen, returning with two metal spoons and a bowl of ice. 

This was two weeks after my break up, a sleepover at Maia's. It was practically my second home since third grade. 

"Okay, your eyes will give up on you. come here. lie down and close your eyes." Layla instructed gently.

I did as she said. She dipped the spoons in the ice and placed them on my puffed eyes.

"I read this in a magazine once. It should help." Layla muttered.

"Listen, if Sam told you that you were crazy then maybe it's for the best?"

"Yeah!" Maia chimed in. "If he doesn't respect you, for your beautiful, artistic, creative, talented, amazing self, them SCREW HIM!" 

I sighed and let out a small laugh. My friends smiled sympathetically. 

"Y/n, we love you! We love you so much!"

"You don't need pathetic Sam!" Layla laughed.

I lifted the spoons from my eyes and leapt onto my friends, pulling them in a hug. "I love you guys." 

"But I can't help but say I still miss him." I mutter. 

❝ — Yeah today I drove through the suburbs
And pictured I was driving home to you.❞