Chapter 2: Research and Conversation

With very little else to do, Sherlock spent the next several days absorbed in his research. He read the Gospel of Luke, which told the story of Jesus' birth, and he did a search to verify the authenticity of Jesus as a historical figure who had actually lived. He was surprised to find that there was more historical evidence for Jesus than for Julius Caesar. He read about Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived during the first century AD. Manuscripts of Josephus referenced Jesus on more than one occasion, corroborating the claims of the Bible. Sherlock was satisfied with his conclusion. Jesus was no made up fairytale character. The big issue was the whole thing about him being God. Sherlock was still trying to figure out his own feelings on God in general. He'd spent so many years denying God's existence and pushing it out of his mind, and now he was swimming against his own preconceived notions, to force himself to examine the evidence for God himself.

He texted Molly.

Molly. I have some questions. Fancy some chips? Your place or mine?

He smiled at her response.

I think you could do with a change of scenery. My place. I finish at four, so I should be home by five if you want to come then.

Sounds good.

Sherlock watched the clock impatiently as the hours ticked by slowly.

In the end, he decided to surprise Molly at the hospital. They could travel together to get chips and then go to her flat.

At three-thirty, Sherlock stepped out onto the street and hailed a taxi.

At the hospital, he was a little early and decided to seek Molly out.

He checked the mortuary first. It was dark and empty. That meant she would be upstairs in the lab.

He paused in the doorway of the lab after opening it. He saw immediately that Molly had styled her hair for the day in an attractive side braid. She didn't look up from the microscope as she said, "Did you forget something, Kaitlyn?" He recalled Kaitlyn was a lab assistant who often worked with Molly and with whom she seemed to be friendly.

He didn't answer but stepped towards her, and Molly looked up. Her eyes widened slightly. "Oh, it's you. I thought you were coming to my place after work?"

He clasped his hands behind his back. "Thought we could travel together and pick up chips on the way."

She blinked, and he knew she was a little surprised. "I thought I'd save you the taxi fare," he added quickly, as if to justify his unusual actions in making joint travel arrangements.

Her lips quirked. "Sherlock, you aren't saving me a taxi fare. I always take the Tube. Much cheaper."

Of course she did. He should have known that too, but he supposed he'd deleted it as unimportant. He felt a little embarrassed. Most people were happy to ride the Tube from place to place. His preference for the more expensive taxi was mostly to insulate his mind palace from making deductions about every person on the train. Well, that and his discomfort with large crowds and being recognised.

He shrugged. "Well, I'm here now." He checked his watch. "It's about time for you to finish anyway, isn't it?"

"I know. I was just finishing up. Give me a minute."