Chapter 5: Completely Confused

And after, like, a bajillion years:

Here you go. ~AR

_______________________________________________

The whole thing with Josh had left me completely and utterly confused beyond belief. I had stayed on that beach, frozen, for what felt like hours. Eventually I realized how ridiculous this was.

He's playing me. Like I'm a freaking game; he's playing me. He's trying to confuse me and make things worse for me just so he can get back at me for tricking him during Capture the Flag. I felt so stupid. I looked around suddenly, expecting to see him hiding behind a tree laughing with the rest of the Athena cabin. Instead I saw Josh walking away towards the cabins. He glanced back at me, but he didn't look amused or giddy. He looked maybe just as confused as I was. He turned away and sort of nervously scratched the back of his head.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I should've gone after him and confront him about it, or ask someone for help, or what. After the world began to spin a bit, I decided to sit down and think.

I groaned a little as a headache came on. I rubbed my temples and felt my eyes begin to sting. I couldn't take this. The stress from the prophecy and my many 'enemies' and now Josh-

It's overwhelming.

I took deep breaths and tried to calm myself down. 

"Everything alright?" I heard someone say.

I looked up and saw one of the last people I wanted to see standing with their hands in their jean pockets. 

"I'm fine." I said. Damien sat down next to me on the sand and stared at me while I tried to avoid his gaze. 

"I never asked if your were fine." he said. "I asked if everything was alright."

I sighed and tried not to explode. "Everything is alright, OK? Everything is just great."

He said nothing for the longest time, then, "Sarah told me you wanted me to go with you on your quest."

I looked over at him, laughing lightly. "No, not really."

"But Sarah told me-"

"I know what Sarah told you." I interrupted. "She's not wrong." I wanted to tell him how I didn't request him to go with me. Some voice wanted him to go with me. Josh too, apparently.

Ugh, Josh...

"You can tell me anything." Damien said quietly. "I won't hurt you."

My mind drifted back to the prophecy. "To wander home with a broken heart."

I got close to his face. He tensed up and I slightly noticed his eyes taking in my facial features. "I don't believe you." I whispered. Then I got up and walked away. 

And for once, I didn't look back.

I needed to talk to someone. I didn't know who, but I felt like I should talk to someone. I thought about asking Sarah for help, but I decided against it. There was some things she just couldn't help with. Josh and Damien weren't up for consideration. There was Chiron, but I doubted there was anything he could do.

Overall, I was hopelessly confused, and that's how it was going to stay for a while.

I sighed on my bed and hopped off. I grabbed my bow and slung my quiver on my back. As I left my cabin, I headed away from the archery course. It was just too easy for me. I needed more of a challenge. I walked into the forest, instead. I kept walking. I wasn't sure where I was headed, but I just kept walking.