7. Revenge at Last

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I should explain here that this is where non-canon elements come into play, particularly with the Chaos Emeralds. Apparently, in the canon, once they turn into Super Emeralds, they're supposed to bulk up in size similar to the Master Emerald and still vanish after one use (is that right? I think, I dunno, like I said I've never finished any Sonic game). But as part of my compensatory head-canon, I left their size unchanged and made them reusable to a certain extent. I suppose that automatically makes this entire thing bad? I dunno. Let me know what you think.

-----

Amy's house, 8 AM. Sonic and Amy are sat together at the dining table, enjoying a hearty breakfast which Amy had made.

"Y'know Ames, I've been thinking..." Sonic said with a slight mouthful of bacon and sunny side-up eggs.

"What is it, Sonic?" Amy replied in between sips of her glass of orange juice. Sonic swallowed his food first before replying.

"Maybe it's about time I make up with Tails."

Upon hearing that notion, Amy nearly spat out her drink. "What!? After all those times he nearly killed you!? Nuh-uh! I am not letting you anywhere near that psychopath anymore!"

"Hey, come on! Isn't that what you wanted me to do in the first place? Besides, as weird as it may sound, him nearly killing me is... actually kind of a good thing. Because that means he's actually improved, he's gotten to my level. I mean he took out Eggman by himself last time and even me. Remember? He's shown that he is indeed tough. Guess now I can trust him not to hurt himself again."

"That's... not a bad point, actually."

"And... y'know something else? Tails actually mentioned to me back then about how much of a jerk I am and... I guess he's right. I mean, I called him a lotta names, I feel like I never listen to him whenever he tells me about his inventions, or his stories, or... anything, really. I just haven't really been a good friend to him in general and I wanna change that," explained Sonic.

And he has a point indeed; lately, Sonic had been too lenient with his relationship with Tails, too carefree to hold himself back and reflect upon his own words and behavior. And Sonic's dismissal of Tails from the team was the perfect catalyst for the already fragile harmony between the so-called "Unbreakable Bond."

"Aww, that's nice, Sonic. You know, I guess it's pretty rare to see you admitting that you're wrong, hehe. But still, I'd be careful if I were you. Who knows he might still be keeping that grudge against you?"

"I know he might still be mad at me, but... I'm willing to give this a shot. If I don't, we'll just make this charade go on even longer. In fact, I'm gonna give him a call right now," said Sonic as he reached for his phone.

Meanwhile, over at Sonic's former house, Tails is catching up on his much-needed sleep after a long, tiring heist that nearly went wrong. He's only gotten to bed at 3 AM. After being slightly awakened by the ring of his phone, Tails impulsively picks it up without bothering to look at who's calling him since he's still in a half-slumber state.

"Mmmhhh... wh-who is it?" Tails mumbled after he puts his phone to his ear, his head still sunken in his pillow.

"Uhh... hey, Tails," greeted Sonic through the phone. Upon hearing that voice, Tails suddenly jolts up, now sitting upright on the top bunk. Of all the things he was expecting, it was not a call from his now worst rival. "Listen, I've been thinking and, uhh... I gotta be honest with you, I'm tired of all this. I think it's time we have a chat. Face-to-face. What do you say?"

Tails had literally just got up from his short slumber and the day already takes a turn for the weird. Sonic the Hedgehog, the most self-centered person Tails has ever known, calling to apologize? Seems very unlikely, Tails (mistakenly) judges. His irrational paranoia gets the best of him, causing him to assume that this is somehow some kind of a trap. But he's interested to see where this is going. Hence, Tails decides to play along with what he perceived to be Sonic's façade.