Chapter 19

"Steven! STEVEN?!"
My worried mother yelled from the small twisting road besides our spot by the lake.

"Over here!" I yelled faintly, clutching onto the freezing man besides me, while using my other arm to wave frantically at my mom.

She stumbled down to us, eyes welling up with tears as she saw our condition.

"We need to get you somewhere warm! Soon!"

I nodded, and slowly got up, supporting the half awake Italian besides me.

"Chilled, are you able to walk?"

"We're almost there! C'mon!"

I mumbled to him, making him shake his head, trying to muster up any energy at all...

"T-tired" was all he said, lips purple, voice rugged, and eye lids sagging.

I sighed, and reached down to pick him up. the sight of me carrying the larger was unnatural.

His taller body in my arms, as I hauled him to our car, that was purring on the gravel road.

My mother bugged me the whole way there, asking pointless questions while she tried to drape the coat over my shaking bare shoulders.

My teeth chattered as I ignored her and focuses on my task, get Anthony somewhere warm.

She jumped ahead of me and opened the truck door as we approached, moving out of the way. I gently laid down the freezing man on the back car seat, and snuggled in beside him, huffing with effort. She quickly shut the door, and I gasped as the warm air surrounded me, making my frozen skin sting with pain at the sudden temperature change.

I rubbed my arms up and down, trying to use the friction to gain even a tiny bit of warmth to circulate through my exhausted limbs.

She got into the driver's seat and cast a scared glance back at me and Anthony. deciding we were alright for the time being, she released the brake and started driving home, the whole way I had a sopping mop of wet hair resting on my shoulder, making me shiver even in the hot air of the heater, but I didn't dare move, because the man next to me's comfort was the only problem that matters right now. I let out a sigh, and let my eye lids droop a bit lower...

"Steven!" An arm shook my sore shoulder, trying desperately to wake me up. My eyes opened slowly, eyes focusing on the worried face of my mother. I shivered feebly, my head feeling light.

"Steven! I need your help! Just for a second, you're almost there!"

Almost there! The same words as before chimed in my head, making me force myself to wake up properly, just realizing my situation. My mom waited outside the car doors, while I was just in boxers, outside, in winter.

Memories of the past hour drifted back, and my eyes snapped open. "help me carry Anthony... I can't lift him, and he's too tired to wake up. I nodded, cold air nipped my flesh as I jumped out of the car and turned back to my sleeping boyfriend. I shuddered in fear at the sight of him. His skin was pale and his lips purple... Even in the warmed car.

I picked him up and staggered to the front door where my mom was waiting anxiously. she opened the door and lead me into the house, running off to get hot water and blankets and such.

'I'm done now..' my mind whispered.

I waited for my mom to return, and she did quickly, surprisingly with the amount of stuff she was carrying. She threw me a blanket and put the first bowl of hot water in front of where Anthony was laying, still unconscious. I staggered over to his sleeping form and pushed him into a sitting position. I then shook his shoulders gently, getting a pained moan in return. His eyes opened, but barely, a gray haze in them.

"A-Anthony?" I whispered, and his head tilted up a bit, towards me.

"Can you put your feet in the water?" I asked, chattering noisily in my blanket.

He didn't seem to understand at first, but then he picked his feet up and plopped them right into the steaming water, Flinching at the burning water. My mom reappeared with another bowl of water, and two pairs of my clothes.

She tossed me an outfit with a sweatshirt and sweatpants, very warm clothes indeed, and a pair of boxers. Then she rested the other pair by the shivering Italian. "put yours on first, then help him" she directed hurriedly, putting the second bowl of water in front of me, so quickly water sloshed out onto the wooden floor.

I had just finished tugging Chilled sweatshirt over his head, when I just felt like I was going to collapse. I pulled my bowl over to sit by Anthony, and snuggled into him, pulling the many blankets my mother brought over us, relishing the precious heat.

"H-hey... Ze..."

The voice above me mumbled, just below a whisper. "y-yes?" I responded.

"I... I love you, little bu-buddy" he whispered, falling back asleep.

I smiled faintly.

"I love you too"