Chapter 5

We pulled up onto a gravel driveway that was seemingly in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by forest on all sides with only a dirt road leading up to it, even though we couldn't have been driving for any more than ten minutes.

Pyx was quick to hop out of the car, and Hawks gave him the keys to open the front door.

The house was large to say the least, and was quite modern, with plenty of large windows and high celings. Upon entering the house there was a small entry room with spaces for coats and shoes but after that it was mostly open plan.

To the left there was a large kitchen with dark marble countertops, that was way too clean to have been used recently and to the right was a spacious living area, with a fireplace that had giant sofas either side with a flatscreen TV above it and a very soft looking rug with a glass coffee table on top, in the corner there was a small bookshelf with a single, worn armchair next to it.

Directly ahead was a short corridor that led to three rooms as well as a staircase that led upstairs, the second floor wasn't as large as the first, since the living room ceiling was much higher and there was a small balcony area which you could see into it from the second floor.

Hawks strode into the living room and gently placed me down on one of the sofas, placing my blanket over me before he went back outside to start bringing the things he bought in, and taking them into one of the rooms on the ground floor.

While Hawks was setting up the room, Pyx crouched down in front of me
"Hey there pretty boy, I'm Po." He held his hand out for me to smell and I tilted my head slightly 'I thought his name was Pyx?' I sniffed his hand regardless and licked the tips of his fingers making him let out a childish giggle before he pet my head.

"Ohmygosh you're so soft" he whispered under his breath and I wagged my fluffy tail as he continued to pet me.

Hawks reappeared a few minutes later and thanked Po for helping, sarcasm dripping from his voice since all Po did was dive and cuddle with me.
Po kissed the top of my fuzzy head before saying goodbye to me and walking towards the door with Hawks.

I yawned and lay my head down, but kept my eyes open as I watched the door and waited for Hawks to return.
The longer I watched the heavier my eyes grew so, deciding to close my eyes for a minute, I tucked stuffed Hawks between my front paws and curled up, the white tip of my tail covering my nose as I allowed my eyes to flutter closed as I nodded off to sleep, safe and comfortable.

I must have only napped for a minute or two before I felt the sofa dip next to me, causing me to tense and shuffle away until I hit the back of the sofa and cracked my eyes open slightly.

My vision was blurrier than usual from sleep, so I could only make out a human shaped blur. I panicked when I realised I wasn't in my cage and tried to stand on shaking legs only to fall back down again, letting out a pitiful whimper.
I felt slight movement from the human before a gentle and familiar voice spoke up
"Hey Ridian, its alright chickpea, try not to put any weight on that leg alright." The voice sounded kind and... concerned? 'Wait, I recognise that voice..' I blinked my eyes rapidly, allowing the shape in front of me to become clearer until I finally remembered today's events.

'Hawks!' My tail gently began to wag and I chirped happily before trying to stand again, this time only putting weight on three of my legs. Hawks gasped quietly
"Ohh clever boy!" He praised, causing a warm feeling to swim in my chest, which was enough for me to finally stand, with my front left paw lifted off the ground, and my long, fluffy tail wagging happily as Hawks smiled and praised me again
"You're such a good boy!"

He smiled brightly when I began to take a few steps towards him, which were more like hops since I was only using three legs. When I finally reached his lap I flopped down, exhausted and panting slightly as Hawks caressed my soft fur. I let out a content sigh and cuddled closer to him, gently licking his hand whenever it came close enough which caused him to chuckle.

I kicked my back legs a few times until I was completely in his lap and then rolled onto my back so that I could look up at him, with my tongue lolling out of my mouth as I smiled the best I could.
When I looked at his I couldn't help but wonder what the details of them might look like, could they have swirls or dots of other colours? Or perhaps they were just pure gold? Although, if I'm honest it doesn't make a difference to me, all that matters is that I'm here right now, that he stayed with me even though he knows what I've been through and seems to care about me to at least some degree.

At this moment, laying on Hawks lap, looking up at him as he smiled down at me, safe, warm and healing, I couldn't have been happier.

This was written a while ago and I realised I haven't posted it yet, I'm not officially back but I am writing again so updates on my fics are coming
~Axel