Chapter 31

Kay:

The horrible truths of waking up hit you like the accident you were in. The blinding lights and distorted voices…all I had on my mind was one thought that made my heart ache terribly. The stickiness in my eyes bothered me as much as the dryness in my throat, the beeping of the machines gave me a headache…

It’s kind of ironic. You’re lucky to survive something and all you can do is complain about the horrible feelings you had at that moment. Should I ask that one question I’m really thinking…? Do I really want to hear the answer when I think I know…it already?

He wasn’t here.

He didn’t come did he?

He just left…didn’t he?

I’ll just assume it. I don’t want hope. I don’t believe I can still have a special fairy-tale ending. Who am I, to think I’m a princess? All that banana crap! I hate myself for the mess I got myself in. I hate myself to listening to that stupid voice in my head. Don’t I have a filter for this stuff? It was reckless and stupid!

The one thing I tried my hardest to do, to avoid losing…I ended up losing. I lost everything. No…not everything. Just that one person who was everything… Did he hate me that much to not even see me? Maybe if he spoke to me I would have woken up sooner. Even that was a miracle without him. Everything seemed bland. I looked at everything around me with distaste and bitterness.

“Here Kay, I got you some water.” My heart skipped a beat as the door opened and Vincent gingerly walked in with a steaming mug of water. I took it in my shaking hands, feeling the warmth seep into my skin on the cold day. It was almost like seeming him for the first time again…that black tousled hair and those forest green…

Wait…no. No I wasn’t going to finish that sentence.

“Earth to Kay?” A hand waved in front of my face and I looked up at Vince’s eyes…my heart skipped a beat. I quickly blinked a few times and looked down at my cup, taking a lon- IT’S HOT. IT’S HOT. OH MY GOOOOOD, IT’S SO HOT. I swallowed as quickly as I could before fanning my face, trying to tell Vince it was boiling hot. He looked like he was trying to supress his laughter as he took the cup out of my hands and began to drink the hot water like it was cold.

“What…on earth?” I asked him, Vince had the straightest face on and just shrugged his shoulders.

“I like it hot.” He bluntly said. The silence that followed in the room was almost comical. Really? I raised my eyebrow at him. Really? I grinned at him, he only smiled back and moments later our furious laughter filled the room. It was a laugh that felt like it had been trapped within myself for so long. It instantly made me feel better.

Soon, our huffs of laughter died into a comfortable silence in the room. I fidgeted with my fingers trying not to get mesmerised by Vince’s stare at me as I mustered the courage to talk.

“Why…are you here?” I asked, maybe that wasn’t the right choice of words. Maybe I should have asked if he hated me. If he was angry at me…what he was thinking…why did he stay here?

I mean…I didn’t know if he stayed here the whole time…but his messed up hair, dark circles under his eyes and crumpled shirt did indicate he must have been here for some time.

“Uh…” He said, he ran his hand through his hair and took a few steps over until he sat on the side of my bed. He glanced at me for a few moments before he let out a nervous chuckle. “Where…do I start?” He laughed; I only stared at him confused. For someone who I thought would hate me…that smile surely didn’t say that.