four | IV.

four | IV.

discoveries

~+~

After her free period of drawing, Kate left the library. She had waited a good few minutes before leaving after Draco. There really wasn't any reason for her to wait, but she tried to rationalize it by saying she "didn't want to make him uncomfortable", which, in hindsight, made no sense at all since he hadn't been looking at her or noticed her presence. So she just decided to, pointlessly, wait a few extra minutes and attempt to look productive before she took her leave and went to lunch.

However, by the time she did leave, she remembered that she had to return her brother's tie to him. She knew where he would be. He and his friends were nearly always in the same grassy courtyard, the one with the big tree. The year prior Draco Malfoy was turned into a ferret there by Alastor Moody... well... it was actually Barty Crouch Jr., but at the time, everyone thought him to be Alastor Moody. Regardless of whether it was Crouch or Mad-eye, the moment of Malfoy's transformation lives in glorious splendor in everyone's memories, no matter if they actually were there to see it, or just overheard it from a friend.

Kate marched outside with swift purpose. She saw her brother and his friends exactly where she thought them to be. Also, it was rather easy to find them since, during their lunch breaks, her brother enjoyed spending time with one particular Draco Malfoy. Draco, being as oddly standout-ish as he was, was like a beacon to Kate of her brother's location during their breaks. She had followed the raging sea of emotions that were primarily dominated by boredom at the moment and found exactly where her brother was.

Jonah Brown sat in a group with Draco Malfoy, Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott, Vincent Crabbe, and Gregory Goyle. They were a tad bit chauvinistic in their exclusive group. Most, when given the choice, stayed as far away from them as possible.

That being said, Kate Brown was not everyone and Jonah Brown did not scare her in the slightest. She approached with graceful confidence. Everyone outside the group of six Slytherins eyed the Ravenclaw girl warily, fearful of how the boys were going to react once they finally noticed her approaching.

Kate did not pay any mind to the extra sets of eyes she felt on her. She just strode forward, intending on giving her brother the tie she had in her possession.

Draco Malfoy was the first to take notice of her approach. He raised an eyebrow, loftily and donned an arrogant smirk. His outward entitlement did not in the slightest reveal the curiosity or intrigue that Kate knew him to be feeling.

Next, Theodore Nott followed Draco's gaze to Kate. Where he then nudged Blaise who was talking to Jonah. Upon Blaise turning to look at the approaching girl, Jonah did as well.

"Well, well, well," Theodore began, smirking. "What do we have here?"

Kate smiled, "Hello, gentlemen."

"Brown," Blaise acknowledged with a nod.

"Having a nice day?" Kate asked.

Jonah grunted, "I got a detention from McGonagall because you didn't give me my tie earlier, so no. I am not."

Kate noted Jonah's sour mood. He felt mildly bitter, yet after he spoke, he felt a rush of slight guilt. Kate ascertained it was for speaking ill to her. He always felt bad for treating Kate poorly. Mostly it was a knee jerk reaction made out of the heat of emotion, rather than actual malicious intent. Kate knew this. She knew her brother like the back of her hand.

Kate simply kept smiling. "Well, at least you'll have it back now."

She reached into her bag and dug around until she found the tie. Pulling it out, she was unaware that a few papers came loose from her drawing book. She handed the tie to her brother.