Chapter Four

I had little time to appreciate the comfort the sunshine brought with it as the door to a shiny, black sports car was opened and I was pushed into the passenger seat. I was trying to regain my composure just as Aiden opened the driver side door and jumped in, starting up the engine quickly and driving off at a dangerous speed to God knows where.

''What's your name?'' Was the first question that left his lips as I observed him driving seemingly calmly despite the speed at which we were whizzing past the buildings down the high-street.

''Violetta Simmons.'' I stated my name for what felt like the hundredth time since I left my home. My hands were clenched in my lap as I sat fidgeting in the leather seat. I was certain cars as expensive as these were meant to be comfortable.

''Mm...'' Was his only reply as we left the buildings behind and drove up over a road that was set in between walls of dark green trees that made up forest on either side.

All of those events had happened too quickly, my mind couldn't seem to comprehend Aiden's actions. One minute he was being an arrogant ass and acting as if I was worth nothing, and the next he was ripping a bloody door off its hinges to get me out of there and stealing me away back to his home.

What the hell!?

I rested my head on the cool surface of the car window, feeling slightly dizzy as I continued to watch trees blur past. My eyes couldn't seem to focus on the world around me as a throbbing pain started up in my head and the constant ache of my ankle worsened due to the walking. My eyelids drooped shut for just a moment of rest.

A pain to my cheek woke me up and I found myself sitting bolt upright in the leather seat of a spotless car. My hand shot to my cheek to rid it of the pain when I heard a deep chuckle from beside me.

''You haven't even started working yet and you're already asleep?'' A voice joked from beside me and I turned my head towards it, a frown on my face.

''Did you just slap me!?'' I exclaimed momentarily forgetting my previous fear of him, watching him continue to chuckle at my angry expression.

''Yep.'' He spoke, causing my annoyance to increase towards him as he began to sober up, ''I had to wake you up somehow, didn't I?'' He smirked.

My eyes narrowed in response, and I felt my muscles tense at his apparent ease of hitting a girl. That just wasn't nice.

''You couldn't have, oh I don't know, asked me to wake up? Like maybe 'Hey, it's time to wake up now'. Instead of y'know, slapping me!?'' I answered sarcastically, rubbing my cheek gently as it continued to sting.

''Yeah, well I'm not the nicest person you'll ever meet.'' His answer was serious, all traces of his previous humour gone, ''Now, get out of the car, I need to show you around the grounds.'' Aiden opened his car door and got out, slamming it shut behind him.

Talk about bipolar. Honestly, if this is him after my spending only a few hours with him at the most, what is he going to be like as a Master for all those years? Then again, I probably was out of line with my sarcasm, not the best way to stay alive around here I guess.

I reached for my own door and opened it to find him already stood before me and waiting expectantly for me to exit. He was stood on a grassy field and the car was parked on a mud track that served as a road. The grounds around him were well decorated; I even spotted a number of water fountains making the place look like something right out of a fairy tale. The woods were still close by, looking menacing and probably filled with dangerous creatures so I averted my gaze quickly.

I pulled myself out, still careful when putting weight on my foot. He noticed my hesitation and glanced down at the bruises on my ankle again, ''I'll take you to the nurse once I've shown you around, for now just be careful, I guess.'' His words sounded like they held genuine concern, but I seriously doubt that considering this guy is a vampire and obviously a powerful one at that.