Prologue

Two watched sympathetically as X curled tightly around Four's limp, and battered body.
"Forgive me.." Two murmured sadly, "please.."
X turned to him sharply, "I told you already! I need some time alone!" He wailed. Two dipped his head sadly and stepped back, whimpering. He had begged X for forgiveness and apologized so much, he must think it lost meaning. All his rage towards Four had drifted away warily. He's dead now. X isn't happy though. Neither am I. What have I done? He then shook his head. Four was dangerous. He was abusive, envious and manipulative. I wanted to save his contestants and X from his cruel wrath. But..I failed. I killed him. I should've let him escape or drove him out. Two sighed in exhaustion, then turned and walked away. Heavy rocks weighed down his feet, and he laid down against a tree, far from the scattered dead bodies and weeping or injured contestants. He closed his eyes tiredly, groaning. I ought to deal with this tomorrow.  Slowly, sleep dragged through him. He relaxed.

Ice stabbed through his fur, staining it with frost. He opened his eyes weakly, groaning. Soon, warmth swarmed back around him. He was standing on top of a grassy hill with X on his left side. Two glanced at X happily, "hello there!" He smiled. X giggled and ran down the hill.
"Come on, Two!" He called. Two giggled and ran after him. Gradually, the farther they went down the hill, the darker and more steep it got. Confusion swirled through Two, the sky fading from blue, to purple, to red around them. The grass was becoming black. Two shrieked, stumbling forward and collapsing. He slid farther down, screaming. He violently began to crash and tumble down the slope, at last colliding into water with a splash. X's scream shot out behind him. Two gasped, sitting up, his heart twisting with a start when he realized how sticky, warm and dark the water was. He glanced down. It wasn't water. It was blood.
Two let out a bloodcurdling screech and shot upward, glancing down at the pool of blood surrounding him. "X!" Two shrieked, whirling around. To his horror, the stream of blood lead to X's limp body, or so he thought. He ran to X, he was breathing!
"X!!" Two shook him, tears in his eyes. Pain seared his heart as X let out gasps of agony and fear. The blood trickled from his mouth, and from a gash across his chest. "X..I-I'm going to help you!" Two trembled, his heart stopping when a familiar voice squeaked behind them.
"No, I will."  Two turned around to see Four, his fur flowing majestically in the wind. All his spite towards Four returned to him. He let out a yowl of fury, "Four!"
Four screeched and hurled himself at Two. Easy fight! Two stumbled back, surprise and horror flashing through him once Four slashed his throat in a single blow. Two screamed, backing away frantically. Four laughed, bristling. Blood violently began to pour out of his throat, as if it were a waterfall. Life drained from him, agony bursting around him. He collapsed, twitching and choking. He convulsed, his eyes clouding.
Two gasped, his eyes flinging open. Oh God..it was just a dream..a nightmare..