SEVEN

chapter sevendinner is served a house divided

chapter seven
dinner is served
a house divided

I sat in front of the fireplace, I kept my focus on my fingers as I held them before the fire, I felt safe and I didn't feel the need to look over my shoulder every second and that was a comforting feeling.

I watch Sarah sit beside me, as she taps my shoulder causing me to look up at her in curiosity, Sarah and I used to talk quite a lot since she didn't get to leave her room much but I don't remember the last time we spoke.

"Have you seen the tree? Clem put a angel on it" I raise my eyebrow at her as she points, I look at the tree in, it felt nice to be normal again and celebrate stuff like Christmas. Maybe we'd even get to celebrate my birthday.

"It looks amazing. I bet you helped, there's no way she did that alone" Sarah smiled lightly, as she stood up before scratching the back of her neck.

"When we have dinner, could we maybe sit together?" I smile softly as I stand up and open my arms to the girl as I envelope her in a hug.

"Of course, bug. I've missed you" She repeats my last sentence back to me, I hadn't called her bug in awhile and it felt like home again.

"Well, everyone, dinner is served. C'mon, let's eat!" Walter calls out as I pull away from Sarah and take her hand as we walk to dinner together in the dining hall.

The cabin group sits at one table, and the ski lodge group sits at the other one. Sarah and I grab a bowl of food and obviously join our groups table. I sit between Nick and Sarah, looking up and seeing Luke across from me.

"You okay, man?" Luke asks Nick, I look over at him to see him playing with his food.

"Yeah. I'm just...I wish I hadn't pulled that trigger." I raise my eyebrow at him before shovelling some of the food into my mouth.

"Just try to forget about it." Luke waves over Clementine but instead she sits with Kenny and the others, Luke looked slightly upset but I understood why she sat with them.

"We were just talking about this Kenny. What do you make of him, Issy?" I look over at Carlos, shrugging my shoulders.

"Haven't really spoken to the guy. So I don't have a saying on him yet" Luke rolled his eyes.

"That guy nearly shot you and you don't have a saying on him yet" Luke snapped, I looked at him in surprise until I grew angry at his snap.

"He did what any rational person would do with a place like this. Protect it" I snarl as my eyes go back to my food, not wanting to say another word to Luke.