Chapter six

The next day I awoke to a cloudy day, rain pattering on the roof and dripping down my windowsill. As I sat up and stretched my arms, for one blissful moment I couldn't remember anything from yesterday until the events came rushing back to me all at once.

I had kissed the General of Britain, master of broken hearts, and was now engaged to him. Today I was beginning my life of treason. The world began to spin again, and I got out of bed, and steadied myself on my bedside table. Everything was going to be fine, I told myself. Everything was going to be fine. After a few long, deep breaths I began to change clothes, the acceptance of what had happened last night finally sinking in.

And the more I thought of the Shadow Group, the more I convinced myself that going to meet them was a horrible idea. The consequences of seeing the Shadow Group were so high it was enough to make you wish you'd never have uttered the name, and the fact that I've never  met this woman, that her name was Big Mama and that she showed up out of the blue, sealed my decision.

I was not going.

I felt myself relax, feeling better that I wasn't beginning to secretly destroy my family's reputation. But as I reflected once more on last nights events, a familiar voice began whispering in my ear, telling me that I had to make sacrifices if I ever wanted to go back to Virginia one day. I pushed the voice away, forced down the longing in my heart, and picked out a flowing red dress that seemed to reflect my torn mind.

I walked downstairs to find everyone was still asleep, and a white envelope marked Rose on the counter with handwriting I knew all too well. My heart racing, I made sure that no one was looking and snatched it before racing back upstairs, feeling like a spy. I was sure Greg had delivered it; he was the only one who I trusted enough to tell him about how I still write to Josie.  Well, apparently Big Mama knew too, but that doesn't really count. But unlike Big Mama, Greg didn't know why I wrote to Josie, or that my family didn't know.

He had probably thought that it was just common sense to put the letter in the house where it wouldn't get wet in the rain. And it would've been a sweet gesture if my entire reputation and all of my secrets weren't at risk of being opened by a curious family member.

When I had closed my door and made sure no one could sneak in, I ran my fingers along the spine of the letter, taking in the scent of Virginian paper that triggered a slue of memories to stir inside of me. Then I took my trusty lantern and matches (women weren't really supposed to have them, or know how to use them, but thanks to Josie, who learned from her Dad, I knew how to light a fire perfectly) out of the closet and started a fire so that I could burn the letter later.

Then my heart beating with expectation and excitement I unfolded it to find the edges of the parchment wet. My first thought was that it was wet from the water, but as I scanned the letter, my stomach clenched and I realized it was stained with tears.

Rose,

The British have invaded Virginia. It's a battlefield outside, and I'm afraid to leave my house. No one is safe; I can barley go to the market without being questioned by a British officer, and people are being arrested left and right. And ever since the Quartering Act was passed, I've had over six soldiers stay overnight, forcing me to sleep on the floor, cook a frenzy, and lie between my teeth.

You would understand how frustrating it is; being a woman and all and not getting the respect I deserve. While they drink and play cards I cringe as they spill beer over the tablecloth you made me before you left and the coats that are thrown all over the floor.

I often wonder if soldiers are that rude over by you in England. Probably not because they're in their own home, but still I ponder over how it is on your side. But Rose, I'm afraid this letter is taking a turn for the worse.