Chapter three

The next day I was still heated and upset; all I could do was sit in my room and dream of Virginia, where everything used to be perfect, and feel sick with guilt as I read the numbers of deaths in the newspaper.

Mother checked on me every once and while, thinking I was sick, while Joseph was busy making plans for his wedding, and Father went to work. At about four I got up and pulled myself together. Get a hold of yourself, I thought violently as I prepared myself for an evening of torture. Men are dying on the battle fields while you're pouting upstairs about your perfect life. Suck it up and act like a woman!

I got ready quickly, putting on a simple evening dress since I knew that I would be "fixed" by Sophia later. I had decided I'd go to the market before the ball, hopefully to clear my head and calm me down. So with one last look in the mirror I raced downstairs, bid goodbye to mother and walked outside.

It was a beautiful day, (which was unlucky for me; I was hoping the weather would be terrible and the ball would be canceled) with a baby blue sky and clouds that dotted the horizon, and I basked in the sun filtering between the leaves of the multi-colored trees and the soft breeze that pulled at my dress. I began to walk down the cobblestones I knew so well, hands swinging the basket I carried.

When I arrived at the market it was as busy as always. I took a deep breath of the familiar spices and sounds that hit my senses,, relishing the feeling of comfort that came with it. To the right of the square Mr. Taylor was smoothly convincing customers to buy his meats, while to the left Ms. Gibbs flirted with every man that based by, winking at me and laughing as one of her customers, thinking they'd swooned her, bought all of Ms. Gibbs fruits. I stifled a giggle as Ms. Gibbs muttered sucker under her breath and counted her money, all while pulling a new crate of fruit onto the table.

Next to Ms. Gibbs a line of stalls rounded all around the block, salesman selling anything from jewelry to food and clothes to tools. What I needed today was some new cloth for mother, some fruits and eggs. I decided to get the cloth first and walked over to Mrs. Krowkiski's stand. Mrs. Krowkiski was a plump woman, with rosy cheeks and a short bob. She was thumbing through her cloths organizing them by patterns, shapes, and colors.

When she noticed me her face lit up and she took my face in her hands, like she always did. "Oh Rose! What a pleasure to see you here again! You haven't come in so long," she said, her British accent so thick it was hard to understand her.

"What's it going to be? The usual? I was saving some of your mother's favorite calico silk for her, she was raving about the shortage at the last sewing club meet." Mrs. Krowkisiki said earnestly, and I replied that the calico would be fine. "Alright, you stay right there, I'm going to grab it from the back crates." She said, and I nodded, waiting for her.

When Mrs. Krowkiski came back she handed me the fabric and I thanked her and was about to leave when soldiers pulled into the market, causing the crowd to part and cheer. Confused, I turned to see the General on horseback, waving to the crowd.

"General! General! General!" The crowd screamed, and the General smugly put his hand down to silence the crowd. "Loyal citizens of Britain, it is my greatest pleasure to assure you that the men that caused the riot two nights ago have been caught!" He said, and at his words the crowd burst into applause and jeers as about fifteen men in chains were dragged out of one of the wagons that the horses were leading.

My sympathy ran through me as I saw the men's state; they were filthy and full of bruises, their eyes haunted and far away, and I felt my heart drop to my shoes as I realized what they're fate most likely was. The General cruelly ordered his soldiers to line up the men one by one, and they obeyed him until the men were side by side, their hands in chains.