More Mysteries of the Past

Song Defies Color

A/N: Again! I've been working on this for two to three days straight! Okay, I took breaks once every few hours, but you get the picture! And I thought that this chapter was going to be easier because it was a bit shorter than the previous one. Well, I thought wrong.

*takes a deep breath* Anyway, I'm hoping that soon, once I get one of my other stories finished soon, things won't be entirely crazy before college classes start up again. But I won't press my luck. Let's just say that job hunts have gotten a lot harder because of the pandemic, and waiting for responses whether if I got the job or not is nerve-wracking.

But enough of my surprisingly hectic life. Let's get on with Chapter 7! Roll it!

Chapter 7

More Mysteries of the Past

The next day after his secret little serenade to Poppy, Branch was practically floating on air as he worked on restitching a little hole that was in one of the curtains, quietly humming the song that he wrote and sang for the beautiful Troll princess in one of the spare rooms of Guffin's disguised mansion. 

He was a little confused as to why she asked him because they haven't used those particular curtains in a couple of months, but then again, the current curtains were due for a wash soon, so they would need to be replaced.

Just then, he heard Cloud Guy and Archer come over to him. "You seem to be in a good mood today." The former said with a little smile. "It suits you."

Branch rolled his eyes. "Ha-ha." He laughed sarcastically, and then went back to sewing. "I know what you are going to say next. You're going to ask me a totally random question because you snuck in my bunker again and are curious about it."

"I swear you're psychic." Cloud Guy muttered, crossing his arms. "Okay, I saw that you were working on a painting, and I was wondering when you are going to finish it."

Branch rolled his eyes again. "I just started working on it last night." He said. "It's going to take me a couple of more days to finish it."

"Someone's just impatient." Archer added, looking over at Cloud Guy with a teasing smirk.

"Come on!" The talking cloud exclaimed. "You gotta admit, our stormy friend is talented. First singing, then poetry, now painting. How many more hidden talents do you have?" He asked.

Branch raised a brow in amusement. "I'll let you guys figure them out." He said.

Just then, Glitz came into the window, buzzing frantically. There was only one reason that he would be acting so frazzled.

"Guffin alert!" Archer exclaimed.

The three friends immediately jumped up. "It's already a quarter to three?!" Branch exclaimed, looking over at the grandfather clock in the room.

"You have two minutes." Cloud Guy said. "Hurry and go! We'll put these away."

"Thanks, guys." Branch said, and then handed Cloud Guy the fixed curtain drape. "And remember to stay out of sight."

******************************

Within those two minutes, Branch made doubly sure that everything was in perfect order as he made his way over to the door. He then waited patiently as Guffin came inside, and her cheery disguise vanished in a wall of green flames, revealing her true elegant and sophisticated self.

"How was your day, madam?" He asked her politely.

"It was quite well, minus one little disturbance." She answered, handing Branch her basket of goods. "I'll expect my tea in fifteen minutes."