Morning birds (Chap 14)

AN: 14th chapter teehee =() 

Zak's Pov: 

Leaving my dream world, I slowly opened my eyes to the faint sound of the birds outside. I checked my watch breifley to check the time. 

6:14, too early for a sunrise -_-

Looking over to the window, trying to see the birds, I realized something.

"Wait, why am I not in my bed?" I thought, taking a second to remember, "...Oh, right".

Memories of yesterday flooded in, along with a tint across my face. I glanced down to see Darryl sleeping on me. (Zak's legs propped up by the short table in front of the couch, Darryl's head on Zak's lower stomach). Before I could freak out, I noticed Darry was saying something.

Was he sleep talking?

I heightened my focus as I heard him mumble, "Zzzakkie".

WhAt? Was he dreaming of me??? No, that's narcissistic of me to think. Does what people say in their sleep even relate to their dream at all?? I should look that up later, but what do I do right now??? Maybe I should just go back to sleep? Yeah,,, yeah that's what I'll do.

I closed my eyes once again, trying to return to my dreams.

Darryl's Pov:

*some time passes*

As my eyes opened, I rubbed the tiredness out of them and sat up.

Wait, *sat* up??  where am I?

I looked around and discovered I wasn't in my bed, or in a bed at all. I then felt there was someone next to me, and holding me? (arm around shoulder at that point)

Oh right, I stayed over at Zak's house. Why was I-

My previous thoughts got cut off when the thought finally set in.

He's holding me? 

Trying to stay still, as to not disturb him, I started to lean back into the couch trying to slowly adjust a bit (to get up). But I soon came to realize a feeling.

"ya know it kinda feels nice, I think I'm just gonna" I thought to myself as I pulled the blanket up to me more, leaning on him as I quietly yawned.

It feels kinda safe

*A bit of time passes*

Nobody's Pov:

Zak started to stir awake again, after those first two (brief) moments of consciousness, he decided to actually get up and start some breakfast. He saw Darry, still in the same position next to him, and tried (as gently as he could) to lay him down on the couch, slipping away from him. At this point in the morning, Zak just tried to ignore his embarrassment from the closeness. The peak of his fluster was when Darry (clearly in a sleepy state) leaned into him going back to sleep, pulling Zak's arm around him more. He didn't know what to think of it, so he just ignored it for now. Along with that he ignored Darry's sleep talking too.

 Heading downstairs to the regular kitchen, Zak decided on making some thin blueberry pancakes (essentially the helltaker pancake recipe) and some eggs for the two. He gathered all of his ingredients and started to prep, while humming a tune along with the birds. His parents were working in the bakery right about now, so the hum was in otherwise peaceful silence.

Whilst Zak was prepping, Darrly started to wake up from his sensed loss. 

Darryl's Pov:

"Hrhmmrgh,,, huh? where's zakie?" I murmured drowsily.

I slowly staggered up, taking a big stretch and woke up a bit more. 

"hmm what's that smell?" I asked nobody, curiously.

I briefly combed through my hair with my hands, finding some sort of reflective surface to look with. 

"Still the same old same old..." I thought with a tired groan.

 I walked down the stairs discovering that the pleasant smell came from some pancakes Zak was cooking. 

"oooOOoo" I said in an fascinated tone.

"I hope you like blueberries"

"Y-yeah, they're actually my favorite. *O.O* Again, how'd you know??"

"I mean, they *are* a good combo. Lucky for you I made them I guess~" He joked, "Oh by the way, how to you like your eggs?"

"A simple omlette would be good, thanks" I said giving a smile, "Do you need any help?".

"Yeah sure, if you could just pass  me those eggs over there and what you'd like in the omlette, that'd be great :)"

Again, I felt like he was being too nice. 

Wait- didn't I ask about that before? When did I- what did he say again?

I started to feel my face heat up as I remembered what he said.

Did he mean that? Wait, what did I say back? I don't remember, but that's probably for the better. I would  probably die of embarrassment to whatever I responded with, I get a bit,,,weird when I'm tired.

As I continued on with my thoughts, absent mindedly helping Zak, I started to indulge in the thought that he might've actually meant it.

Maybe, he does like me?

I quickly snapped out of that mindset as I caught my self in a nearby reflection.

Wait, why would he even like me? Who would even like me at all? 

As of recent, I wasn't this self-concious. But I guess that was because I kept a lot of my interactions low before then.

Not to mention me, but was he even the slightest bit attracted to men?  Ugh I shouldn't even be around him- Oh but wait, he said he liked me, whatever he meant by that (probably  platonic), what if he gets sad if I just distance out of nowhere. I mean, he's been so nice to me, if I just ghost him he'd be, at the least, confused right? Ughh what should I do? Wait, what am I doing now?

I started to come back to reality where I was setting up some plates and utensils for our breakfast. 

"Darry? Earth to Darry, hello??? Darryyyy~" Zak sang as a bird whilst he carried his pan.

"Nevermind haha. I was gonna ask you to bring over a plate for me, but I realized I could just bring the pan to you."

"Oh, sorry, I zoned out" I said with a nervous laugh.

Zak looked over at me and changed to a slightly worried expression, "What were you thinking about? You seem a little down."

Maybe I should just focus on some postive stuff, at least when I'm around him :/ Like maybe there *is* a chance he could actually like me???

"Oh nothing, anyways this smells delicious!" I said changing the subject, shaking away those other thoughts.

"Thanks, I'm glad you like it" He chirped happily.

(Word count: 1063)