Chapter Two: The Will

Copyright © 2013

All Rights Reserved

I was jolted awake by the slam-bang of the car door. I glanced over to find Aunt Bet, who was seething beside me. She tugged at her French twist, her hair tumbling down in elegant, inky waves.

"Francisco, 341 Park Avenue please, and hurry." She ordered testily, as she ran her fingers through her hair.

I stared at her in surprise. Aunt Bet was usually so calm and collective; never in my seventeen and a half years of my life had I seen her so . . . pissed.

"Aunt Bet, are you okay?" I asked tentatively, my voice soft as a whisper.

Aunt Bet froze in the middle of her harried brushing, her eyes sliding over to me.

"Oh, Ellery, honey," she said, heaving a weighty sigh of exasperation. "That, that, that MAN just infuriates me! I cannot imagine why in the world your parents would-" She broke off mid rant her face paling.

"Listen, Ellie," she said quietly, placing her hand over mine. "No matter what happens today, I swear to God that I will not let anything bad happen to you."

I blinked at her, taken aback by the ferocity of her words. My mouth worked up and down but no words came out.

"Um, okay, Aunt Bet," I said shifting in my seat.

After that rather intense discussion, her Blackberry buzzed loudly, her attention focusing soly on it. I thanked the powers that be for the distraction as I settled back in my seat. The ride to Park Avenue was uneventful and silent-at least on my part. Aunt Bet spent the entire drive on her Blackberry, having one-sided conversations with someone from her work.

My iPhone vibrated in my pocket. I turned it on a picture of my current almost-boyfriend smiling up at me. I debated on whether or not I should answer it. Jake hadn't even shown up for the funeral. Neither had my supposed best friends. I hit ignore, pocketing the phone once more. Ashley had claimed to have a family thing, and Faye had simply refused to answer any my calls, texts, or messages. For the moment, I was without any real friends.

I pulled out my ear buds, turning it to Of Monsters and Men's 'Slow and Steady'. The lulling tones released me from my earthly bounds. I was lost in the music, drifting away on the waves of sound,by eyes drifting shut.

I didn't wake until we had arrived at our destination. The building was staggering in stature, a breathtaking blend of historical beauty and modern strength. I followed after Aunt Bet out of the car and up the front steps where a man in a tailored and pressed black uniform held the door open for us. Aunt Bet sauntered past him, her entire mind seemingly focused on one thing and one thing alone. I gave him a smile and a hurried thank you as I all but jogged after her.

She stabbed a fine manicured finger on button for the elevator, the doors sliding open with a soft ding! Aunt Bet entered and I moved to follow her when my foot caught the edge of the entryway. A hand clasped my arm steadying me. I corrected my footing, and glanced up to thank the Good Samaritan. My thank you stuck to my tongue like glue when I saw who it was.

"Mr. King!"

A rueful smile curled his lips as his strange eyes flashed with a wicked light. "A pleasure to see you again, Miss Van Aller."

"Ellery!"

I turned in time to see the elevator doors slid close on an infuriated Aunt Bet. I blinked in surprise as Mr. King let out a low chuckle.

"We'll catch the next one."

He hit the elevator button and reclined lazily on the wall, a crooked amused smile on his face. I stood there a moment before breaking the awkward silence.