Chapter 5

Before

Brendon was eighteen when he first met Ryan.

He used to skateboard, mostly because he thought it made him look cool, but also because his friends were riding skateboards and smoking pot and he didn't want to be the only one not doing it. So he saved up all his money from working after school in his mom's grocery shop, and he bought himself a second-hand skateboard. He wanted his friends to think he was cool.

They thought he was cool already, without the skateboard, but he didn't know that.

It was a warm June afternoon, and he was at his usual skate park with Frank, the Way brothers and Spencer. The Ways were already high as kites, and Spencer was leaning against a tree reading a book, but Frank was happy to skate with Brendon. He'd only had the damn board for about two weeks, and he kept falling off, and he was sure that Frank was beyond pissed off with his constant asking for help (he wasn't), but he still wanted to skate.

So, with scraped knees and sunburn on his nose, Brendon tried to copy the tricks Frank was showing him. He was practicing so hard, sweat dripping down his face as he tried to do a kickflip, but then he got distracted and he fell on his face. Someone new had arrived.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late."

Brendon hadn't been sure of his sexuality back then; he knew he liked girls, and he had the same fuzzy feelings when he looked at some of the boys, too, but he didn't quite get it. The new guy, though, had Brendon's heart thundering in his chest.

From what Brendon could see from his position on the floor, he had curly brown hair and a sharp jaw, and a shy smile on his face. His eyes were hidden by sunglasses, though the vibe of his outfit didn't really match - it was like his sunglasses said 'cool' but his shirt and waistcoat said 'just fallen out of a haberdashery'. He was undeniably pretty.

He saw Frank's hand appear in his peripheral vision and he looked up at his friend, who was smirking. "Get up, idiot. You're bleeding." Frank said, and Brendon felt his cheeks heat up as he took his hand and got to his feet.

Together they walked - or rather, Frank walked and Brendon limped - over to the rest of the group. Even Spencer had put his book down to converse, which was a miracle in itself. The new guy turned towards them as they approached, nodding his head towards Frank.

"Hey, man. How's it going?" said Frank, offering a jerk of his head in return.

"Hey, Frank. Good to see you again." New Guy said, his voice smooth like honey or syrup or -

Frank nudged Brendon, knocking him out of his daydream. "Huh?" he said, looking between Frank and New Guy. He had not been listening.

New Guy laughed, the sound reminding Brendon of birdsong or church bells or - "I said, I'm Ryan." He took off his sunglasses, revealing the nicest pair of brown eyes Brendon had ever seen. "I'm a new friend of Spencer's."

Brendon had momentarily forgotten his own name in the midst of gay panic, but Frank nudging him once more with his skinny elbows brought him back to reality for just enough time for him to introduce himself. "Hi. I'm Brendon." he cleared his throat, holding out a hand before realising it had blood on it and taking it back awkwardly. "I'd shake your hand but, uh, I don't wanna accidentally give you hepatitis or something."

New Guy - Ryan - arched a perfect eyebrow, the corner of his mouth twitching. "If you're worried you might have hepatitis, you should probably get tested."

"I didn't - I don't - I mean -" Brendon stammered, his heartbeat racing in his chest. He didn't want Ryan to think he was some disease-ridden maniac who went about offering hepatitis to people, but it was difficult to get that across when Ryan was as gorgeous as he was. "I'm a virgin," he spat out.