Chapter 1

Chapter 1
FRESHMAN ORIENTATION
The sign was large, draped across the double doors of the library. Blocky red letters against a yellow background made it hard to miss. A swell of bodies drifted toward it, all of them youthful and bright-eyed, ready to start the first year of college.

A tall, thin boy with lightly tanned skin, short yet shaggy blond hair, and intense blue eyes stood in the center of the concrete walkway, his brow furrowed and a backpack slung over his shoulder. His glare was zeroed in on a piece of paper in his hands.
"This says I m supposed to be here for orientation, then I have to get to building 1502 for Comp I, which is " he mumbled to himself as he switched his attention to a map he d been holding under his class schedule.

"All the way over there?! That s impossible!"

Several students stopped as the boy shouted into the air. Confused and skeptical looks came at him from all directions.

"Uh, hahaha. Just checking out a map for a video game! This next quest is gonna suck haha!" He bashfully scratched at the back of his head, making his beanie cap ruffle his already messy hair. The other students rolled their eyes and shook their heads as they all continued into the building. The boy quickly stuffed his papers into the pockets of his cargo pants, then ducked into the building.

Inside the building was a standard college library; books of all sizes lined the shelved walls, the shelves jutting out into the room in several areas. Computer desks were stationed in small groups of five throughout the spacious room. Several smaller rooms off to the side with glass walls each held a handful of faculty members waiting to greet the new arrivals. Students filed into the rooms they were assigned, filling up the several rows of chairs each contained.

The blond-haired boy found his seat in the back, next to a small girl with almost snow-white skin and long, dark hair that let off a blue tint in the florescent lighting. She wore black leggings under a short white skirt, and a grey sweater. Her eyes were directed at the faculty members standing in front of the group, but the boy could see they were the lightest shade of lavender he d ever seen.

She s kinda cute

One of the adults stepped into the center of the front of the room.

"All right everyone, settle in and we ll begin! First off I d like to welcome you to Konoha University. We re a large school but we like to think of ourselves as a big family and there are dozens of clubs and groups, so be sure to check them out at the booths set up on the second floor. Here however we re going to talk about credit requirements and student resources, so if everyone will pull out their orientation manuals.."

The room shuffled with activity as everyone reached into their bags and purses for their manuals. The blond looked into his own bag, only to find his manual wasn t there. A quick check of his pants and hoodie pockets turned up no manual as well.

"Where the hell did it go " he grumbled.

"Um, y-you can share mine, if you can t find yours."

The boy s eyes shot up at the voice, surprised to hear such a light chime of sound amidst the cacphony of papers and zippers. The girl next to him was facing him now, presenting her manual. Her lilac eyes were pools of gentility. A light blush tinted her cheeks, and her soft lips were turned up in a nervous smile. The boy smiled gratefully.

"Thanks a lot, I have no idea where mine went! My name is Naruto by the way, Naruto Uzumaki."
The girl s smile widened a little, her blush deepening ever so slightly.

"Hinata Hyuga.

"Nice to meet you, Hinata."

"Y-you too, Naruto."