Chapter 3 They're Hatching!

It was no ruse.

The eggs were about hatch.

Mother and father's faces switched from surprising to extreme excitement as they exchanged exhilarating looks. This was their first clutch and first breeding season. During that time, they were extremely busy with collecting sticks,leaves and grass  in order to expand the nest for their soon to be young that they completely neglected the amount of days that have passed. When Kawi fooled Indus by showing him the eggs, there wasn't a single fracture on the eggshells. It might had happened during they little disagreement just now and they didn't even noticed.

And now today was finally the day that-

"CRACK!"

Suddenly, there was a noise that sounded like a another crack and then another and another. Mother and father whipped their heads around and saw that the white blueish eggshells had even more cracks.

They were hatching.

I mean we were hatching.

Then, one of the eggs (which contained my elder sister inside) began to roll out off the triangular shaped clutch and continued to roll towards our parents until it bumped against father's feet.

All of a sudden, the shell's top end cracked open and a dark grey little beak pop out followed by a fluffy little white head.

"Come on darling, just a little bit more," Indus cheered on trying to encourage his daughter to make a last effort to free herself. Kawi just stood there, looking at her and smiling. They will be official parents in no time once their chick is completely free. Just then, the rest of the eggshell broke into many little pieces, revealing a really fluffy white little body with small undeveloped wings that aren't able to let her take off just yet.

Their daughter was sitting there and opened her little black eyes and looked up at her parents for the first time.

"Kawi, do you know what this means?" Indus asked, staring back down at the chick. "It means we're officially parents!" he said with an overjoyed tone in his voice and smiled. "Yes!" Kawi said happily but sounded as if she was crying a bit as well. Her mate didn't noticed.

And then, there was a another crack sound. The second egg (that contained me) was about to hatch and then my head pop out the same way as my sis's but a little faster. My body broke out pretty quickly to. I hatched about a few steps away from my parents. I laid down on my backside and stared curiously at my parents with my big dark eyes with an upside down view. I tempted to flipped myself onto my belly side and managed to get a right side up view of them, which was much better.

"Look, now our son is out to!" Beamed father. He was always a joyful bird and sometimes loved joking around to but still a caring parent and gives his children support.

And then it was my little brother's turn to come up. His hatching took the longest because he was a shy bird. When his eggshell broke, he kept on hiding underneath the biggest eggshell piece. Mother bent forward and lifted the piece off his back.

Instead of looking at mom and dad, he curled up into a little white terrified fluffy ball, had his tiny wing folds over his shaky head and shut his eyes closed, shunning the world around him.

"Awwww, don't be frightened little one," mother assured her youngest in a soothing voice. Now I get a sample of her voice for the very first time.

The voice of a mother.

"Ya," father said. "We are your parents. You know, mom and dad,"

Suddenly,brother stopped shaking, slowly uncovering his little snowy head, quickly sat up then looked up and cocked his little white head.

"Mama? Papa?" he said  curiously with little dark eyes looking at them.

Then, I sat up quickly and said the same thing as little brother. My sister, on the other talon said it with more excitement as if she was confident that those birds standing in front of her were her real parents which of course were.

" Yes! My chicks..." said mother with sadness in her eyes again. This time father noticed and rubbed his head under her chin.

" We're so grateful to God Almighty that you all hatched safely," he said gratefully and there was a hint of proudness in his voice.

We made it through our birth and wondered what was in stored for us next.