Dance Class

As soon as I finished my homework, I started to prepare for my walk. I didn’t know why I cared so much about this boy; I had only met him once before. But I wanted to make a good impression on someone who didn’t hate me and wasn’t afraid to talk to me.

As soon as my mom called out to me to take Maisie out, I was down the stairs and out the door before she could even say another word. I speed-walked down the long driveway, only stumbling a few times on the ice, and started down the street with my dog. I gave myself a moment to cool down and collect myself, giving off the appearance that I was some cool together man.

I started down the street, making sure my hair was in place as I approached Theo’s house. I walked up to his porch and found him sitting on the steps waiting for me. When he saw me, his face lit up and he immediately jumped up to greet me.

“Mitch!” he cheered as he jogged up to me. I waved, not even giving him a smile. After all, I still wasn’t sure what Theo’s motives were.

“It’s Mitchell,” I replied as I started walking my normal route with him.

“Well sorry for trying to give you a cute nickname,” he responded back. He chuckled and I laughed quietly too. “So what shall we do on this beautiful chilly evening?” he asked with enthusiasm.

“Well I’m going to walk my dog and you are not going to get in my way,” I answered keeping my eyes on the ground ahead of me.

“But that’s no fun,” he pouted. He almost made me laugh. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. He stood proudly and was filled with such confidence. His smile seemed genuine and he walked with a bit of swagger.

We approached Jackson’s house and we heard the sound of skates gliding against ice and hard objects thumping against the ice and sides of the rink, along with Jackson’s music. Say Something was playing as we walked towards the driveway.

“Man, this is an old song,” I mumbled, looking up the hill towards the ice rink.

“Yeah like two or three years old,” Theo responded, following my gaze. “Let’s dance, shall we?” he said as he stopped me in my place and held both of my hands up in his.

“What the hell man?” I said calmly as he locked his fingers in mine and held out our arms.

“We’re just dancing,” he replied as he awkwardly moved both of us backwards and forwards to the music. He sang along softly in a joking manor and cracked smile at me. I rolled my eyes and let him dance, trying not to act enthusiastic. He was so weird. He spun me around quickly and poorly sang along with the lyrics of the sad song.

“You are so bad at singing,” I laughed rolling my eyes and shaking my head.

“Oh yeah and you can do any better?” he mocked, raising on eyebrow and looking me in the eyes. “Come on, sing.”

“No,” I giggled. He urged me on and I kept denying him. I wasn’t going to just embarrass myself and sing in front of this boy I barely knew.

“Come on!” Theo whined, “Please?” He looked at me with puppy dog eyes and stuck out his lower lip.

“Fine!” I shouted and started mumbling the chorus of the song.

“I can’t hear you,” he pried.

“I’m not singing any louder!” I laughed, finally smiling for him. He laughed and looked down and I realized that we were still dancing. “Let go of my hands,” I said, trying to pry them from his grasp.

“Fine,” he said as he let go. “So what now?” he asked as I looked around for Maisie.

“Well I just wasted my walk dancing horribly with some creep so I think I’m going to go home,” I said stepping back.

“Can I walk with you?” Theo asked. It was just like last night. I thought about whether I should really spend this much time with him. But I did need some answers out of him and he seemed genuine.

“Sure,” I replied, starting back and whistling to Maisie. He beamed at me and it made me give a small smile back.

“You know you’re a horrible slow-dancer, right?” Theo teased and I chuckled quietly.

“You were the one making me dance,” I shot back.

“No no no, it’s all about the footwork, see?” He stopped me in my tracks, grabbed my hands, and started to slow-dance again. “Come on, try it,” he said.

“No, I’m not going to dance with you,” I moaned, planting my feet in the ground.

“Come on just try,” he said, kicking my feet. “Here, I’ll be the girl,” he said, moving my hand to his waist.

“No no no no!” I shouted as I raised my hands in the air. “We are in the middle of the street and I’m just trying to get home,” I yelled, trying to walk past him.

“Fine, you can be the girl. Just try. Please?” Theo pleaded as he took one of my hands and placed the other on my waist. I froze as his hand landed on my side.

“Stop!” I yelled at him, backing away and putting my hands up. “I don’t want to learn how to slow-dance and I don’t want you touching me like that,” I cried as I looked at him defensively.

He backed off immediately. “I’m sorry…” he apologized, “I was just messing around; I was only trying to have fun…” He frowned and started walking back to his house, before I grabbed his arm.

“Nope, you’re walking me home,” I ordered, not looking back as I headed towards my own house, pulling Theo behind me. He grinned and walked along beside me, glancing at me before looking forward again.