Safe and Sound

( so I wanted to to be more inclusive so this imagine is with reader wanting to come out to the team as genderqueer as I myself am and think that it would be a comforting thing to explore more as a lot of fics are aimed at f/m readers (no hate they're great!) I hope you enjoy :))
(I/P)- incorrect pronouns
You loved seeing the group, the hours of laughter and love was something you cherished so much. However you'd been more anxious each time you'd been hanging out, the words on the tip of your tongue but the confidence went as soon as you tried to speak. You noticed that the group had seen a change in you and it ate you up thinking that they thought they'd done something wrong ,but you just couldn't help the way you felt.
You wanted to tell them about being genderqueer, your pronouns and how happy you felt to understand yourself a lot more. You knew they would love you and except you but for some reason you couldn't.

It was Friday, everyone was around at Lous loft chatting around the kitchen island with beer and pizza being handed out, you was in your own head as you hear the distant voices of the girls.
'Y/N, honey are you ok?' Said Debbie making the girls all look at you, a blush touching your cheeks as you realised you'd been zoning out, 'oh yes sorry, what where you saying?' You giggled nervously, Debbie and Lou shared a look as you gulped down you beer. 'We where asking how you'd been this week? Is everything ok?' Lou asked as she stared at you trying to read your emotions. 'Erm... yeah everything is fine!' You spoke so fast you where surprised anyone understood you, the group just went back to speaking as you sunk further into yourself as an awkward feeling took over you.

You heard Daphne speak ' (Y/N) seems distracted lately, has (I/P) said anything to you?' You bit your lip as you knew she was talking about you, all you wanted to do was run away. You was so deep in your thoughts and angry with yourself for not being able to speak that you didn't realise that you smashed your bottle from slamming it on the table. The noise made the women gasp as Tammy came over and helped you clean it up, you apologised saying you didn't realise your own strength as you held back your tears. You wanted the ground to swallow you whole as you saw the silent messages the group was sending to each other.

'I- I think I need to go lay down for a minute.' You rushed out as you stumbled to the stairs and made your way into the spare room. You don't know how long you was laid there for but you fell asleep, exhausted from the tension in your body.
When you woke you felt a cool pair of hands stroking your hair, your eyes fluttered open and you was met with a concerned Lou. 'Hey sweetheart, I was just coming to check on you. How are you feeling?' She said in a timid voice which helped you relax. 'I'm ok, sorry about what happened. How long have I been asleep? You question, 'About 2 hours, the girls are all down stairs, they're fighting over a film to watch.' She rolled her eyes playfully which made you giggle.

Something in her eyes changed as she became more serious 'you know you can tell me anything, right? You seem so troubled lately and it breaks my heart to watch you suffer. The girls love you, I love you and we'll be here for you and support you with whatever is going on. Please Y/N just tell me what's going on, I'm scared.' Lous voice broke a little and that's what made you crumble, you started to sob and apologise as Lou held you right against her, she was telling you that everything is ok and how she's here for you.
Once you could talk again you pulled back to look in her eyes as she held her hands on your cheeks wiping away the tears. You took a big breath and spoke 'I've always struggled with understanding myself, I mean I've never been good with labels as they've always made me confused because I didn't feel like I ticked the right box...' you stuttered as Lou was giving you a gentle smile and allowing you time to process your words 'I've always kept it to myself, like as I grew up I'd figure it out but I didn't. I never felt like a girl but I didn't feel like a boy I was just me. Then I found out about the term Genderqueer and it felt like everything fell into place, like that's who I was and it made me so happy.' Lou couldn't help but melt at the smile on your face with a few stray tears falling, she moved to brush your hair behind your ears as she gave you a comforting smile. 'I was so scared that you all wouldn't understand and that I'd be laughed at, I don't know why though because you've always been so caring and open that I must've freaked myself out. But yes what's been bothering me is that I've wanted to tell you all that I am Genderqueer and that my pronouns are they/them.' You spoke more confident as you finished your sentence. Looking at Lou unsure of what she was thinking as she studied you.

'You're amazing, you know that?' Her Aussie accent thick as she pulled you forward for a hug. You blushed as you snuggled closer to her 'We love you no matter who you are y/n, please never think that we would judge you for being you! Thank you for trusting me I know that it's hard but you are so wonderful, and I'll do anything to see that smile on your face!' Lou said as she rocked you both back and fourth as she spoke again 'do you want to tell the girls, I'll be with you every step of the way' you leaned back slightly to look in her eyes, 'you think they're gonna understand?' She nodded with confidence and gave you a peck on your forehead.
She held your hand as you made your way downstairs where the team where still fighting over a film. Lou gave you a smirk and a reassuring look until she turned to the group 'alright we can figure a film out in a minute, (Y/N) has something they would like for you to know.' She gave your hand a tight squeeze as the rest of the women where looking at you with confused expressions.
'Erm. Hi well- the thing is I've been acting weird because I wanted to tell you all that I'm genderqueer and that my pronouns are they/them and I- I really hope you all understand and accept it.' You looked around to see their faces, it was silent for a moment and you freaked out so you took a step back ready to run away but Lou held onto you telling you that's it's alright.
Debbie made her way to you and gave you the biggest hug you've ever received from her as she was whispering that she loves you, which led to a full group hug with you being in the middle with all the women cheering and accepting you. You felt pure love being there with them, you was still holding Lous hand as everyone started laughing, you shed some happy tears as everyone decided that the movie could wait and drinks where in order.
You'd never felt happier.

I hope you enjoyed this! If anyone has any request or ideas please feel free to leave them in the comments!
Be kind 💜