Chapter 1

"Start simple. Start with what you know is true." I whispered shakily. It was dark and I was sitting in a dark hallway.

"My name is Maddie Everdeen. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. Peeta.... Peeta was left behind. newt is dead," I whispered sobbing. I rocked back and forth. Suddenly a light shined in the hallway. I gasped and hid behind a container.

"Miss Everdeen?" A woman's voice called out.

"You can't be in here." She said. I swallowed

"I had a nightmare. Just five more minutes." I choked.

"You need to sleep. We can help you sleep." The woman said getting closer to where I was hiding.

"Just five more minutes." I said again. The woman found me and tried to get me to my feet. I started crying again.

"No please don't. It's just five more-" I sobbed.

"Don't touch me! No!" I yelled. The guards grabbed me.

"Get off of me!" I screamed.

***

I laid in my medical bed. I kept fidgeting with the newts necklace in my hand. Suddenly I heard crying. I got up out of my bed and walked to the door. I peeked out into the dark hallway. I could still hear crying. It was coming from the room next to me. I walked in there. Finnick sat on his bed crying.

"Finnick." I said.

"I wanted to go back for Peeta and Johanna but I couldn't move. They have Annie too. They took her. She's in the Capitol. I wish she was dead. I wish they were all dead and we were too." Finnick sniffled. A tear rolled down my cheek.

***

I sat on my bed as Bri brushed my hair. A guard walked in. I just stared at him. I wonder what he wants.

"Miss Everdeen. Colonel Boggs, District 13's head of security." He introduced.

"I know you've been discharged, but President Coin has requested to meet with you first." Boggs explained.

"Is there any news?" I asked immediately.

"I'm just here to escort you." He said. I sighed and followed him to the elevator. This will be my first time off of this medical floor. I looked out the elevator window as we passed floors.

"We were always told there was nothing left of 13." I said.

"Capitol bombed the surface to rubble. But we're military so we learned to survive down here. Preparing, training. The war never stopped for us." Boggs explained. The elevator stopped and we got off. Many people were bustling about. I took it all in. This must be the biggest underground base in the world. We walked into some kind of conference room.

"There she is. Our Girl on Fire." Plutarch said. He walked in with a woman. That must be President Coin. Beetee was sitting at the long table.

"Madam President may I present you with The Mockingjay." Plutarch continued. Coin approached me.

"What an honor it is to finally meet you." She said shaking my hand.

"You're a courageous young woman. I know how disorienting this must be. And I can't imagine what it's like to live through the atrocities of those Games and dealing with WICKED." Coin said.

"Maddie, President Alma Coin." Plutarch introduced.

"Please know how welcome you are. I hope you'll find some comfort with us. We've known loss in 13 too." Coin said.

"This is history. Right here at this table." Plutarch said. I looked at Beetee. He was in a wheelchair.

"I apologize, I wish you had more time to recover but unfortunately we don't have that luxury. Please have a seat." Coin said. I sat down.

"Are you aware of what's happened? When you fired your arrow at the force field, you electrified the nation. There have been riots and uprisings and strikes in seven districts. We believe that if we keep this energy going we can unify the districts against the Capitol. But if we don't, if we let it dissipate, we could be waiting another 75 years for this opportunity. Everyone in 13 is ready for this." Coin explained.

"What about Peeta? Is he alive?" I asked.

"I don't know. And I wish that I did. But there's no way for me to contact my operatives inside the Capitol." Plutarch explained.

"The Capitol has always suppressed communication between the districts. But I know their system very well. I managed to break through. All we need now is the perfect message." Beetee explained.

"Maddie, here's what we need to do. We need to show them that The Mockingjay's alive and well and willing to stand up and join this fight. Cause we need every district to stand up to this Capitol. The way you did." Plutarch said. I took it all in as he continued.

"So we're gonna shoot a series of propaganda clips, propos, I like to call them, on The Mockingjay. Spreads the word that we're gonna stoke the fire of this rebellion. The fire that The Mockingjay started." Plutarch said. I ignored him.

"You left him there. You left Peeta in that arena to die." I said angrily.

"Maddie, there are so many-" Plutarch started but I cut him off. I slammed my fist onto the table.

"Peeta was the one who was supposed to live." I said aggressively.

"Miss Everdeen." Coin said. I looked at her.

"This revolution is about everyone. It's about all of us. And we need a voice." Coin explained.

"Then you should've saved Peeta." I spat. Then I got up and left the room.