Chapter Six - I'm Sorry

The draft on the window seemed to worsen by ten folds as I was faced with the disgraceful sight of Rico. The howling wind screamed through the dark hole of the draft and swirled around my soul causing me to shriek within, in tremor.

 The tremors that had befallen wrapped themselves tight around my feet, rising to my fingertips leaving a chilling sensation down my spine. I was unable to move, frozen as though my body was paralysed. I looked around, from to side to my eyes swung each time dodging the face of the cold-hearted man. I hoped and prayed that someone would call me and ask for help, they didn’t. I was faced with the situation on my own. I knew I had to pucker up and tell him to leave me alone!

All this time, Rico was stood there, smiling. His expression never changed from the day I met him but mine had disappeared and every time his haunting sight came close mine the more it vanished making it harder to regain.

“Sophia!” he shouted, moving himself away from the crowd towards me. Now I felt even more isolated, as the time ticked by the deeper I fell into the situation finding it increasingly difficult to dig myself out. With ever step he took, an image flickered past of what I saw the night before. Blood, guts and gore in every image I glanced through. I could no longer paint the fake smile on my face which I was so used to doing. From now on the only expressions I beheld on my face were the true ones, of horror and fear.

"Hey! How are ya? I came to give this to you yesterday on your ward but they said you weren’t in, you ran so fast the other night Usain Bolt I couldn’t catch you to give you this.” He held out the lipstick I was carrying on the night and levered his arm to hand it back to me. But I didn’t move. He threw in an awkward utterance of a laugh to fill in for the silence but it made it worse.

“I was going to wear it today but I think it looks better on you.” His joking compliment failed and I just stood stationary glaring at his face. Peculiar as it was his tattoos moved to their own accord, it was so unnatural, there was a reason as to why we weren’t born into this world with such hideous markings on our faces. I carried on staring; from not being able to look at the being a few minutes ago I could now no longer keep my eyes of him but not in a good way.

 I clutched tight onto my bag, gripping it and wrapping my fist so tightly around it I could feel my fingers changing colour, turning blue and sweat drawing down my palm, with every thought of his presence that entered my mind the more I held onto the bag as comfort. I shut out any noise brewing around us, any activity surrounding us; it was just me and him.

He had taken advantage of my kind nature and my innocence and doomed me to this horrid circumstance.  No wonder he had lost everyone. Mother, father, brothers, sisters he was poison to humanity. Not even his own family wanted him yet he was so blind to see that he should leave his sinful life behind him and be cured.

“My fault, my very own fault! How could I have been so stupid?” I thought.

He began to catch on to my sudden disapproval of his sight and changed moods very quickly. I became afraid. “Sophia, are you alright?” He asked with concern.

 He came closer and closer to me. His hand that had been stabbed so many times with needles reached out towards me… edging even nearer… till he came into contact with me. I trembled...

“GET OFF OF ME!” I screamed with an almighty scream, my yell reaching to the ends of the corridor causing each and every person to turn to face me. My eyes couldn’t see to the ends of the corridor but my voice could be heard. Every man, woman and child had their eyes on me. He had laid his sin ridden hands on me, how could I not react? It was as though Satan himself had smothered his blackened hands all over me, causing my heart to turn black, causing my heart to turn into stone. I was livid. I was angry.