The Dismantling of Shadows

The rays of the rising sun permeated the canopy blanketing the Gardens. The leaves cast organic shadows onto the gravel path that Anna pedalled her bicycle along.

     She weaved in and out of the shadows as if it were some kind of inevitable game.

     The undulating light illuminated Anna's features as she accelerated.

     The building on the corner of Murray Street was tenebrous. An ivory cross stood on the pinnacle of the red-tiled roof, an eagle with a vantage point allowing it to reign.

     Anna became aware of the presence of the satchel draped over her shoulder; she knew that the pastor would not offer her petition his signature. Her certainty lied in the rectangular placard casting a patch of darkness onto the lawn, a rainbow flag with a stop sign obscuring its centre.

     Overcome by cowardice, she slumped her shoulders and succumbed to the shadows.

     The sun was almost directly overhead when Anna gathered herself from the grass and approached the house neighbouring the chapel. 

     Ms Goodwin stumbled to the door to welcome her. She set down her bicycle and retrieved a pen and clipboard from her bag.

     "Good morning madam, sorry to disturb you. Would you be interested in signing-"

     The elderly lady had grasped the paper and signed before Anna had finished explaining.

     "It's not at all a bother," Ms Goodwin croaked, "what a joke, a plebiscite to determine whether people deserve rights. Would you like to come in for a cup of tea?"

     Anna contemplated declining the offer but realised that the alternative would be knocking on the door of the chapel.

     Light bled into the house through open windows; it reflected against trinkets lining the walls, creating tessellations on the floorboards. Anna collapsed into the couch and waited for Ms Goodwin to return with tea.

     The chapel was visible above the fence line, projecting uneasiness along the right side of the room.

     "Let me tell you a story about my youth," Ms Goodwin began.

     "Until 1966, women were no longer allowed to work after marriage. I was a teacher, and after I married my husband I was expected to stay home. Cook, clean, have kids."

     Anna's eyes widened.

     "I married in secret," A defiant grin appeared on Ms Goodwin's face.

     "I hid behind the absence of a wedding ring and continued my teaching. A quiet act of rebellion. The sisterhood dismantled another part of the patriarchal paradigm, an accumulation of defiance."

     Anna was distracted by the converging silhouette of the eagle. It taunted her, its outstretched arms calling her.

     Face me or face the contrition of cowardice. I will not hurt you, only insult you and deny you of rights

     "It is a long and patient battle dear, but you must be the motivator for change. You have the opportunity to be the voice of the unheard."

     Anna thanked Ms Goodwin for the tea and made her choice.

     She hammered on the door of the chapel with intransigent force, dislodging a feather concealed within the roof tiles. It descended into Anna's palm, illuminated by the reflection of the buckle of her satchel.