3

- Wait, were those holograms? - a girl in the crowd asked Julie

- Yes! Yes, they were holograms. - the girl answered chuckling but Laura wasn't convinced. Why were they not on stage since they were in the gym? And how could the flannel guy winked at her if he was not seeing her.

Suddenly she saw the guy go on stage and shaking his ass; however nobody around her seemed to even notice. Except for her and that didn't go unnoticed to the Reggie.

- I think there's one person that can actually see us - he commented with Alex and Luke but when he looked at Laura again, she wasn't looking anymore; she didn't want to seem desperate about him or something, just because he had winked to her.

Principal Lessa sent everyone back to the classes but since Laura didn't have any more, she stayed behind but lost the boys in the crowd.

- Hey I've been looking for you - she heard Payton - Can we talk now?

- Sure

- I just think this, between us, isn't working anymore - he started, whie leaving the gym - And I wish it would, but I don't think you do.

- What? What do you mean by that? - she wasn't getting it

- I'm talking about Julie's band. The bassist. - he was mad

- You're kidding right? - she was unbelieving - It's my fault he winked at me? Don't be ridiculous, Pay.

- Oh, it's this how it's going to be? - he screamed while she was geting away, catching the whole hall's attention, - This is not over, Lau.

- Hey, is everything alright? - Nick asked, aproacching her - That seemed ugly.

- Yeah, I don't feel like talk about it. On another hand, Julie's performance was pretty rad.

- Right? I didn't expect that. I'm gonna tell her that - he said, seeing the girl in the hallway

Laura was watching from the distance but couldn't help to hear Carrie's unpleasent comment. "What a bitch". Nick decided to cut it there and the couple started fighting about the girls' friendship.

- I stepped into that - Nick mumbled to himself

- And you did the right think, Nick - Laura appeared from behind

- Did I though? - he questioned himself, making his way to science class.

Having nothing to do, Laura decided to follow Julie, to congratulate her for her performance. Yet, before turning the corner, she listened a part of the conversation she was having with some one.

- I'm so... I'm so confused, you know? - Laura heard a masculine voice - The afterlife should come with instructions or a quick start guide or something.

- Well, the good thing is that everyone thought you guys were holograms... and I got back into the program. - Julie  didn't seem excited, but the whole thing she said raised so many questions in Laura's head.

"The afterlife? Is that a metaphor or something? It's gotta be, it has...", but the talk proved Laura's assurance, they were not holograms. "But how did they appear on the stage just like that?" They kept talking, until Julie said she had to go, to which one of the boys replied:

- Later, Julie. Oh, tell those cheerleaders I'm single!

- Oh, and that he's dead. - "He is what?"

Laura decided to go before anyone notice her but she left school with a bunch of questions, thinking that maybe it was all a dream. It had to be.

At home, she started to join everything and came to a conclusion that was everything but logical. Yet, it was the one that made most sense, she tought.

- There's no way these guys are ghosts... I need to talk to Julie? She can see them too, right?

Laura texted Nick to get Julie's address and fortunately he knew it. She walked over there and was surprised when she realised it was the same house she had been standing, staring at, a few hours before. "Just a big coinsidence."

She passed the gate and found Julie talking to Flynn. The girls didn't notice her and she decided to eavesdrop the conversation.

- I don't need someone in my life, who lies and keeps things from me. - what happened between the two? - Goodbye, Julie.

- They're ghosts. - Laura was right

- What?

- The boys in my band. They aren't holograms. - Julie explained Flynn -  They're ghosts. And when we play together, people can see them.

- What do you mean "ghosts"? Like the kind that rattle chains and go "boo"? - Laura laughed to herself.

- No. And I'm pretty sure that's just a hurtful ghost stereotype. These guys are just normal dead dudes. Well... Reggie's a little questionable.

Normal dead dudes. "What's that even supposed to mean?" Just like most people, she didn't believe in ghosts but these 'normal dead dudes" overthrew her entire skepticism. She needed to talk to Julie but realised that wasn't the best moment.

• •

When the band ended performing for Flynn and after Julie agreed to form a band with them, the guys were left alone again.

- You know, there's only one thing that I don't get. - Reggie rambled - I'm pretty sure that one of the cheerleaders could actually see me.

- I think that's just your mind - Alex said.

- Hm... Yeah, I have to agree.

- Guys, I'm serious. She looked at me when those girls were singing; she even laughed when you hit Alex's shoulder because he was jaming.

- But that's... just not possible. I mean, Julie can see us because she is related to our unfinished business, but her? Who is she, even?

- Yeah, I'm with Alex - Luke said - I know you wanted her to be looking at you, but it's something we'll have to get used to.