A Sad Simp Intervention

When Carrie left, I hid in the supply closet longer. I mean, my job for the night was done, so there was no reason I had to go back out there. I hoped that, if they didn't find me, I could just be there in the silence of the room. I spent about an hour messing with random things in the room, being careful not to be too loud. After that hour, I could hear the people begin to clear out, so I left the closet. I turned the corner and saw a shadow standing behind me.

"Listen, I was just looking for napkins for someone and..." I began.

"Hiding again Harlee? You're lucky it was just me that saw you," the person interrupted.

I turned around and smiled. "Elias!" I said as I jumped up to hi-5 them. Elias was a tall person, probably around 6'9 or something (I can't do brain measurements), and they had the warmest smile. They worked as a member of the kitchen staff, washing dishes, putting out the magical food we could eat, and all that other shit he had to do. Elias was one of the few people I liked here. They were kinda like a parent to all the teens who worked here. "Sorry, I got worried it was gonna be one of the ass kissers. I just got off Caleb's radar."

"We both know how you got off it."

I sighed. Elias was taking about Willie. When all the drama happened with Willie and the band, he became Caleb's most wanted. Although, he really doesn't do much anymore. It's sad, honestly. I know I already talked about sad Willie, but when your entire life is enclosed in four walls, you don't have too much to talk about. "Yeah. I'm gonna go check on him. He wasn't out there again."

"Yeah, I expected that," Elias frowned. "Well, if you're going to see him, we got extra ice cream from tonight. You think that could help?" Elias asked.

"Well, I can at least try, but nothing seems to be helping him. It's been about a week. He probably just needs more time. I mean, he really cared about him."

"Yeah. Well, good luck Harlee!"

"Thanks Elias."

I walked down the narrow corridors with two ice creams in my hand. This is where the people stayed that were on Caleb lockdown, so, much to say, I have a permanent residence in these halls. I stopped at Willie's door and knocked.

"Go away!" Willie groaned.

"Willie it's me," I replied.

"Harlee?" Willie asked.

"Yes. And I have ice cream."

"Well, leave the ice cream and go." Willie hadn't been one for company recently. I haven't been let in since Alex left. I would typically spend hours outside the door, telling random stories or threatening to light the door on fire if he didn't let me in. But I did respect his feelings and privacy. I just worried. This is the worst I've seen him in the year and a half we've known each other.

"Well, the ice cream comes with me, so you have to choose." He was silent. "It's Rocky Road," I said in a sing-song voice. Suddenly, the door cracked open slightly. "Damn. Had I known ice cream was gonna be the thing that would work, I would've brought it a long time ago."

"Okay, but we're not talking about..." he paused, not even wanting to say his name. "Deal?"

"Deal. Now let me in dumbass," I said lightheartedly as he opened the door completely. Now, what's the best way to describe the state of the room? A fucking pig stye. It was literally disgusting in there. There was stuff all over the ground, the bed was completely unmade, and there were even fist-sized holes in the walls. He was hurting. Really badly. I sat down next to him on his bed and handed him the ice cream. I looked at his face. It was incredibly worn down and tired. It wasn't unexpected, but it hurt to see. This was the outcome of love. It was pain, and so much of it. I have come to determine that people operate like strands of lights. They choose the most important things in their life to be their bulbs, the things that brighten them and make them feel whole. But when one bulb fails or breaks, everything shuts down. Willie made the mistake of making Alex one of his bulbs. When he left, so did the light that was in Willie.