Chapter 2

As if a giant ice club crushing his body, a cold and relieving sensation hit him hard. He felt...free. Free as if the invisible shackle that bound him all of this time was destroyed. The first thing he saw was a peaceful countenance of a woman. She looked worried. Suddenly a burst of heat flowing inside his body rapidly. Hatred, anger, regret, confusion, and all other unfamiliar feeling rushed through him without control. He suddenly felt so vulnerable. The next thing he felt was the touch of that unknown woman on the side of his face.

"Everything is going to be fine." She said softly. Her gentle touch offered a sense of reassurance and safety. He saw her other hand holding the mask. She took it off from his face. To his surprise, he felt warm and fell asleep.

"Damn!" Miraak grunted as he awoke from the dream. He hated the dream for it reminds him of his state now. But most of all, he hated it because he saw her in that dream. It made him even more frustrated to know the feeling he felt inside the dream was so good.

A moment later a splashing sound echoed in the distance, drawing his attention. "She is taking bath." He thought. After a while, the sound stopped. "It is time." Miraak sat up then walked out of the room. While he was alone, he managed to find a steel dagger hidden in the armory. The girl has anticipated his betrayal by not having any weapon in the house but she seemed to miss this one.

Sneaking was not his style for all this time—he could incinerate dozens of enemies with his magic. This time, Miraak tried his best to walk as quietly as possible. But when he opened her bedroom door, ready to stab the dagger through her chest, she was not there. His head turned quickly as he heard her voice from the other room which door was open. 

"This is going to be fast." He thought while sneaking closer.

However, Miraak suddenly froze in his place when he peeked. He saw her only using a piece of towel to cover around her body. Then carelessly she was reading a book in that state.

"Did she just go straight to the library after bath?!"

This was the second time he saw her. Now he realized her small figure. Not much muscle as the female Nord warriors he often saw. In a sense, she looked normal—even weak. Her untied black hair swayed freely as she browsed from one book to another. She turned her head, gazing at what seemed to be a diagram or map the was pinned on the wall, being deep in thought.

"Let see here..." she mumbled to herself. One hand holding a book while another hand holding a piece of charcoal. "The first source will be hidden near Solitude..." she put a mark on the map.

Miraak lost his mood for bloodshed. The thought of killing Dragonborn was no longer pleasing when knowing it's going to be done when she was half-naked. He grunted in annoyance, feeling humiliated. It was also the moment when he understood his mask was in her possession. Thus, he decided to play along and strike when the time came. For now, he retreated. 

Meanwhile, the young Dragonborn sighed in relief as she sensed him leaving. It would be a full moon in three days but the beast blood was already boiling hot. It kept her from sleeping while at the same time making her sense sharper. "I wonder why he backed off." Even with the sympathy she had for him, she was more than ready to knock him out.