Party in North Side

Roxanna:

---------------

"So, did you hear about it??" Chem had barely started and he was already pestering me with questions.

"About what? Your third C in a row on labs?" I grumbled, leaning on my elbow.

Rodrick huffed, rolling his eyes. "Umm, for your information, it was my third D in a row, and no--I'm talking about something better!" A mischievous look glimmered in his eye.

"I don't know what could be better than making fun of you all day, but spit it out I guess." I feigned disinterest, but I wouldn't let Rodrick know that I was really on the edge of my seat. Nothing had been going on for me lately except work and school, and I was hoping this news of his would involve anything getting me out of the house.

"Okay, well, you know Drew Hatley. He heard from Bryan who heard from Emily who was told by Madison that Heather Hills is having a party tonight." His mischievous grin was full out goofy at this point.

I couldn't help it. His buzzing, chaotic energy was getting to me. "No way! Like at her house?? In the North Side?!!" My eyes were wild with excitement, and I was practically shaking Rodrick's shoulders.

"Oh, but I thought you had better things to do?" Rodrick smirked then looked to the side, crossing his arms smugly.

I was not having it. "Oh give me a break Heffley! I am in serious need of a social outing, and if I need to use lethal force to get information out of you, I will," I said, sending him a glare as I poked him hard in the shoulder.

"Woah, killer. I'll give you what you want, just don't jab me again with your pointy fingers," he chuckled, hands raised in surrender. He motioned with his finger for me to come closer, so others wouldn't hear.

He stared at me for a moment before whispering, "Woah, I finally get why you're so grumpy. You have huge bags under your eyes."

My eyes went wide with fury. "I do NOT!" I whisper-screamed at him.

"SHHH!!" he screeched back. "Are you trying to let the whole school know? Sheesh, woman!" he scoffed. "Drew said that it's mostly cool upperclassman going, so they're trying to keep it on the DL."

My smile faded. Honestly, besides Casey I only really hung out with maybe one or two other friends, which doesn't really constitute a very "popular" social life.

Rodrick must have noticed my expression because his energy dimmed a little. "What's wrong?"

It was embarrassing having almost zero friends, but I didn't want to begin to torture myself by explaining that to Rodrick. "Umm, well, I just don't really think I'll know that many people."

"Roxy, are you kidding?? Miss me with that--literally I'm so cool, and you know me! Besides, I wasn't the only one Drew told." He shot me a wink before sitting up on his lab stool.

A reluctant smile tugged at my lips before I realized something. "Oh, wait, but I don't have a car. How am I supposed to meet you there?"

Rodrick scrunched his eyebrows, seeming to mull something over before settling on an answer. "Well, I guess you'll just have to ride with me."

I should have walked.

I can't even to begin to explain the horrors of driving with Rodrick Heffley. Not only is his van a pack-rat vortex of music equipment, wires, and cables, but his driving--oh, his driving---I felt like my stomach did an olympic somersault and landed in my ass.

By the time we reached Heather's house in the fancy part of town, my hair had been all tossed around and my face was an unhealthy shade of green. Rodrick, on the other hand, looked completely fine--probably used to his puke inducing driving style.