Zero - Aleks

I used to have a best friend. His name was James Wilson. I still remember the day I met him in great detail...

It was during a warm autumn day, the school year just began and I was sitting at the coloring table all by myself. Being in Kindergarten, everyone became friends with each other quite easily. Everyone besides me. I remember everyone having that one best friend and saying "we're going to be best friends forever!"

I envied that. I envied to have a best friend one day. Then it was like my wish was granted by some invisible genie when I heard an abrupt scream come from next to me. I looked up to see a tan kid with curly hair sitting next to me and he was glaring at the girl sitting next to him while gripping a blue crayon.

The girls cry was deafening so I covered my ears and just stared at the both of them.

"There's another one over there use that one." James pointed in the other direction the girl was sitting. The girl stood up but instead of getting the other crayon, she dashed over to the teacher nearly tripping on her own two feet.

I remember having to put my head down because of how hilarious the scenario was. I picked my head up, still holding in my laughter by covering my mouth, and saw the teacher scolding the curly haired boy.

"Why did you take the crayon from this young girl James?" The best option was to apologize but this James kid decided it was a better idea to argue back. "But Mrs.Patt, there were more crayons on her side of the table." Mrs.Patt sighed fixed her glasses. "James sweetie, you still could have asked Amber nicely instead of grabbing it from her." James shrugged and went back to coloring.

Mrs.Patt seemed aggravated at this point but somehow stayed calm. "James." She placed her hand on his shoulder. "If you can't treat your friends nicely then you'll have to go to the time out corner." She pointed over to the corner with bare walls, there wasn't even a window to look out of.

"I DIDN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING I WAS GOING TO GIVE BACK THE CRAYON ONCE I FINISHED COLO-" She gave James a stern look. "Now or I'll call your mother." James face was in complete shock and he looked like he was about to pee his pants from fear.

I dropped my head again but this time I couldn't control my laughter. I looked back up only to see a face filled with disappointment and disapproval. "If you find it so funny, you should join James as well Aleksandr."

I covered my mouth with tears brimming from my eyes. I bit the inside of my cheek and shook my head. "Are you done laughing Mr.Marchant?" I let out a small giggle and nodded. "I promise Mrs.Patt, I'm done." It was true, the laughing stopped, but the smile on my face didn't disappear. "Clearly not Aleksandr." The teacher stated, crossing her arms.

"Go join Mr.Wilson over in the corner Aleks." My eyes widened. "I'm sorry Mrs.P-"

She pointed over to James not saying another word. "Go."

I sighed and dragged my feet over to the corner and sat with my feet crossed in front of the wall. I glanced over at James who had his legs pressed against his chest. "What are you here for?" He questioned me like I'm his new cell mate.