Chapter 2

Elizabeth's POV

The air was dank, the smell of blood and silver most prominent. My wolf was silent, distant after being so close to silver for so long. I called out to her, but didn't get a reply.

My wolf was strong from training. Back home we were the top female warrior. But dealing with silver didn't take meerly strengh. The silver targeted my wolf, so that I felt barely anything, but so that she was slowly breaking down. Silver was in the air, and I couldn't get a clean breath. The only way for my wolf to feel normal again would be to get out of this room, even only for a little while.

I heard noise from the far side of the hall. I peeked through the metal bars to see a heavy door open and two men shuffle through, pushing a young man in front of them. He snapped his head toward me, his eyes widening. His mouth curved into a pained grin, a quiet murmer escaping his lips. Suddenly, he was on the floor, his legs crumpling beneath him. One of the guards stood over him, looking down with a disappointed look on his face. The guards dragged the unconsious boy the few feet to an empty cell, quickly locking the door and returning back out the door they came from.

I stared at the man on the ground. I didn't know him, but in the back of my mind, something flickered. A voice, a call, a whimper. I called again to my wolf, certain she had made a sound, but she wouldn't respond.

The man was tall, his blonde hair barely longer than a buzz cut. His eyes were closed, but I knew they were a beautiful blue. He was muscular, not disustingly so, but enough to know he was strong. His short hair didn't cover his face, and I could see his amazing features.

 He groaned quietly in his sleep, a short whine of pain. Somehow the sound clawed at my heart, as if I was feeling his pain. Something was different, I knew that much. I mutely crawled towards the corner, curling into myself, holding my knees tightly against my chest. I suddenly felt cold all by myself in the cell, as if I was missing something I never had. A dull ache settled in my chest, and something deep within me wanted for that boy to wake up.

~~~

"Liz." Someone whispered to me through the bars. "Wake up."

I wasn't sleeping, meerly thinking, but I didn't tell the visitor that. I uncurled myself, slowl crawling over to where the person waited. I looked up into her face. Annie's brown hair was pulled into a frizzy ponytail, her multi-colored eyes now clearly seen. I gave her a weak smile, which was all I could handle at the moment. She slowly put some food on a plate for me, leaving time for herself to speak.

"The new boy." She whispered, grabbing me a fork. "Name's Axel. Axel Taylor. I overheard them talking bout' him. Turns out he's a real hero. Fought for his pack, and now he's the only one here. Heard he didn't kick or fight. Went willingly long as they spare his pack."

Something sparked within me, it felt like hope, maybe pride, it didn't make sense considering where I was.

"Anything else?" I asked, fully interested now. She shook her head, telling me she'd look for more information. She then started to roll her cart towards the next cell, stopping breifly to give them their food before continuing on her route.

I looked towards the boy now, watching him. He was in the same position, meaning he hadn't woken since the last time I checked.

Something came over me, and I whispered his name across the hallway.

"Axel." He stirred, not waking up. "Axel." I said a little louder. 

His lips curled, as if he wanted to say something, but he was still asleep. I looked down the hallway, checking the guards. Neither seemed to be paying attention to me.