Chapter Eight

"Are you two wanting to know the gender today?"

A month had flown by since Christmas and slowly everything was starting to feel more real to Rory. By the end of January it was time to find out the gender of the baby and Logan had driven down to attend Rory's doctor appointment. "Yes. Definitely," Rory, said, nodding her head. Rory made lists on top of lists and planned until her brain hurt, so it was an easy decision to find out the gender. "Oh, is that alright with you, Logan?I guess we never really talked about it."

"Yes. I want to know. And I know you want to be prepared when he or she comes," he said, smiling and squeezing her hand.

"Alright, well you're all set. The doctor will be in momentarily to tell you the gender and answer any questions you might have," the ultrasound technician said, handing Rory a paper towel to wipe off the ultrasound gel.

Rory and Logan sat in silence, overwhelmed with anticipation of finding out more about their little baby. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the doctor walked in, clipboard in hand. "Sorry about that wait folks. We are finding out the gender today, correct?"

"Yes," Rory and Logan said in unison. Rory took a deep breath and Logan slipped his hand into hers, squeezing lightly. She did not know why she was so nervous. She would be happy no matter what gender her little baby was, but her heart still began to beat quicker as she waited for the doctor to speak.

"Alright, let me pull up a good picture so you can see your baby. Well it looks like... you're having a little girl."

Rory let out a breath she did not realize she had been holding and squeezed Logan's hand. Her eyes grew bleary with tears and she whispered, "I'm having a daughter."

"We're having a daughter," Logan corrected gently and hugged Rory. Rory couldn't help but smile and tears filled her eyes as she looked at the photo on the ultrasound screen. She stared at her daughter's small body curled up and her sweet eyes closed as her small hand gently brushed against her face. That's my baby, Rory thought, squeezing Logan's hand. Seeing her face and photo on the ultrasound and knowing she was a girl hit Rory and suddenly everything felt real. Her daughter would be born in five months and she was with Logan, who she loved more than anything, and, although she had no idea what she was going to do after the baby arrived, everything felt right to Rory.

"Congratulations. She's perfectly healthy and is progressing at a normal rate. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, but there's nothing you should be worried about."

Rory and Logan thanked the doctor and got ready to leave the office. As they were walking out the door Rory stopped and Logan looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

"I didn't ask him any questions," she exclaimed, "I should've asked him like a million questions, right? I've never had a baby. I don't know anything about having a baby! I had a whole list of things to ask the doctor and I somehow completely spaced it. I was just so excited about having a little baby girl... We're having a little baby girl."

"That's right. We are. Our very own daughter," Logan replied, his voice soft and warm.

"I just can't stop looking at her," Rory said, holding the ultrasound picture and staring at it, smiling.

"That's our daughter," Logan said, looking at the picture.

"Yeah it is," smiled Rory.

"She's beautiful. But how could she not be when she's got you as her mom?" Logan said,

Hearing a shift in Logan's tone of voice, Rory looked up from the ultrasound to find him staring at her. They locked eyes and Rory opened her mouth to say something, but, before she could reply or knew what was happening, Logan's lips were closing around hers. Too quickly, he pulled away and Rory stood there, dazed. "Rory. I'm so sorry. I know you want to take things slow and I completely respect that. I didn't even mean to kiss you, it just happened. I wasn't even thinking I just-"