Chapter 1

Warning: this story contains strong language, violence, and death. May be unsuitable for some readers. Reader discretion is advised.

It took weeks for Hogwarts to look as it did before the war. Parts of the castle were completely destroyed, rubble blocking and covering the floor where the students used to walk. The delicately crafted window panes shattered, only to be seen crushed below a shoe while walking throughout the school—a crunch at each step. Spots on the cold stone, below a wondering individual, laid a person's blood soaked into the ground from someone brave enough to fight. Ministry workers, professors, some students, and anyone who was willing to help worked diligently on Hogwarts and Hogsmeade till it looked normal, as though the war never happened. 

When the Ministry of Magic was recovered, the citizens were irate with the government and began making demands—heavy sentences for Death Eaters, raise the restrictions for the Wizarding community once more, and to send relief money to those who were affected. It took months for the Ministry to stabilize and be able to meet the top demands of what was asked.

The Ministry, also, made it their top priority to find the remaining Death Eaters, a harder task than expected. Two well known Death Eaters—Draco and Lucius Malfoy—revealed as much information as they told they knew to help their case; many of the Death Eaters caught were being sentenced to life in Azkaban. With this knowledge, the Ministry was able to find about a third of the Death Eaters but many had vanished and disguised themselves in with the population.

Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley became Aurors without taking their N.E.W.T.s. This, of course, was a relief to the men, and gladly accepted the job since it meant they didn't have to return and finish their seventh year. The pair helped in the task of finding the remaining Death Eaters and seemed to be anywhere other than home.

While Ron and Harry were not fond of returning to school, Hermione Granger was well pleased. She even got chosen to be Head Girl for the year alongside Blaise Zabini, who was chosen for Head Boy. Hermione had bright plans for her future and even though she would've been accepted for any job she wanted at the Ministry, she wanted to complete her schooling before doing so. 

As for Penelope Burton, she would be another student returning to Hogwarts. She grew up close with Harry, Ron, and Hermione and fought alongside them in the war. Hermione was delighted to hear Penelope was going back and completing her seventh year, especially since Ron and Harry chose not to.

Throughout their years at Hogwarts, Penelope was often compared to Hermione due to her record and grades being nearly perfect. As expected, Hermione's grades were consistently higher but Penelope never felt the need to be in competition with her friend; Hermione was always willing to prove her intelligence while Penelope just loved learning to the point where many wondered why she wasn't placed in Ravenclaw instead of Gryffindor.

The first of September arrived, the day the students were to finally return to Hogwarts. Many hadn't seen it since it was virtually destroyed months back. With a squeeze from both of Penelope's parents, Penelope boarded the train and sat in a compartment with Ginny Weasley, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Neville Longbottom, and Luna Lovegood. Hermione peaked her head in before the train departed to apologize but she had Head Girl business to attend to.

Penelope had gotten close with those who sat in her compartment during her sixth year but, sadly, didn't have the same chance the year after since she was traveling with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Her social group began to expand which was a bit strange for her since she was a considerably quiet person.

Dean became one of her closest friends; she had always admired how his education meant a great deal to him unlike many boys in her year. Also during her sixth year, Seamus confessed his feelings for Penelope which made for some discomfort in the common room after explaining how her feelings were not in the same place. This, of course, didn't stop him from trying to gain her affection, and she was utterly impressed with his determination, but never felt anything more than friendship for the man.