Chapter Twenty-Five

Lucas whistled as he tossed Kaitlyn’s clothes in the washing machine and dumped a cup of detergent inside. Everything will be okay, he told himself. Somehow, they would work it out. He wouldn’t hesitate to run away with Kate if that was what it came down to, and that fact alone brought a sense of calm to him. He would do anything to keep her safe. 

Even if it meant walking away from everything he knew. 

He paused, staring at the way the leftover detergent pooled in the bottom of the cup. Wasn’t that exactly what they had done to her? They had stripped her of everything that made her ‘Cassidy’ the night she lost her life.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her walk into the kitchen. She was wrapped in a grey towel that matched her eyes … and nothing else. Just the sight caused his heart to pound and his breathing to change. Putting the cap back on the detergent, he shut the door to the washer, but forgot to hit start. 

“Feel better?” he asked, unable to tear his gaze away. 

Her hair was wet and tousled; she looked fresh-faced and innocent. Gone was the blank stare he had expected from her for so long, replaced with a look of wide-eyed wonder. She had been stuck on the compound for so long, it must have been such a stark contrast to be free, to see all of the things—the knick knacks and belongings—that make up a person’s home. Freedom looked so unlike her bland room on the compound. He wanted to be the one to share in her newfound freedom. There was so much for her to explore and learn. He smiled at the thought of being by her side to experience it with her. 

The sight of her bare shoulders was too much. The way she clutched the towel pushed her breasts up, spilling cleavage over the top. His mind started speeding down a road he knew should be left alone … at least for now. She wasn’t ready to take their relationship to that level, not yet. 

He cleared his throat. “I left you some clothes in the bathroom.” 

“I saw them.” She smiled sweetly and crossed the room until she was a few feet away. 

Without another word, Kaitlyn dropped the towel and stood before him, unflinching. There wasn’t a hint of modesty or self-consciousness. She was breathtaking. Her body was strong and yet still feminine with curves that begged to be touched. 

Lucas clenched his hands, focusing on deep breaths as his body responded to her. “Kate, what are you doing?”

She stepped forward—her clean, citrusy scent wafting toward him—and in a low voice said, “When you returned my memories, I found out I wasn’t a virgin. I know you were concerned about that, so I thought we could have sex now. If you wanted to. I need to see what it feels like. I can’t remember.”

Lucas closed his eyes and then opened them, sweeping his gaze over her. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “My God, you are stunning,” he whispered. 

“You don’t find me repulsive?”

“Of course not. It’s who you are, Kate. You take my breath away.”

Slowly, she took a couple more steps forward. 

He should probably stop it, but he really didn’t want to. Any self-control had gone out the window when the towel had hit the floor. As her fingertips grazed his cheek, Lucas stared into her grey eyes. The color of storm clouds, he thought as he grabbed her hand from his face and moved it to his lips. He gently kissed her palm, and each finger, relishing the way she shivered beneath his touch. 

She closed the distance between them, running her hands up his arms. Her firm, naked body pressed against his, and heat radiated throughout his body. 

“Not here. Upstairs,” he said roughly. 

He entwined his hand with hers and showed her the way. He had wanted her for so long; he still couldn’t believe it was coming true. 

His bedroom was cool, a window open to the fall breeze as sunshine spilled through the open curtains. Thankfully, his room was on the backside of the house. 

Fighting the urge to rush, he willed himself to put the brakes on. “Are you sure? I’m willing to wait as long as it takes. We don’t have to rush into this.”

“More than sure.”

His palms were clammy and his breathing erratic. He was nervous. Never in his life had he wanted anything more than he wanted Kaitlyn, and he was afraid he would mess things up. Pushing the thought aside, he hesitantly wrapped his arms around her. He waited, giving her plenty of opportunity to change her mind, but when she didn’t, he pulled her body to his. Her arms snaked around his neck, and she pressed her bare chest against his.

Lightly, he trailed his lips down her throat to the hollow of her neck, and down the gentle curve of her bare shoulder. A gasp escaped her full lips. He was the luckiest man alive.

His heart felt like it was going to jump out of his chest. Her hands moved up his stomach and every nerve in his body felt electrified. He breathed in the scent of her, wanting to bury his head in her hair and get lost forever. 

Kaitlyn reached for his pajama bottoms and her hands brushed over his skin, which caused him to groan as she tugged off his pants. Desire shot through him. Stepping out of his pants, Lucas walked her backwards to the bed and gently pushed her down on to the mattress. He climbed on top of her, and his lips instantly found hers, his hand trailing down her side. Kaitlyn arched her back, and he thought he was going to go insane. He moved his hand up her inner thigh, her skin velvet underneath his fingertips, and he felt her body tense. 

He paused. “Are you okay? Do you want me to stop?”

Kaitlyn bit the inside of her mouth, and her face was flushed. “What if I don’t know how to do it? I wasn’t programmed for this.”

“No, you certainly weren’t,” Lucas laughed softly. Rolling off her, he propped himself up on one arm. He traced his finger on the full curve of her hip, his body tightening as her gaze moved over him, hunger in her eyes. “You weren’t programmed to want to be with me, either, Kate, but here we are. There’s an attraction between us that even science couldn’t destroy.” 

Without another word, Kate pulled his head toward hers and brushed her lips softly against his. She climbed on top of him, her hair spilling down onto his chest as she captured his lips. His hands trembled as he ran them up her strong thighs, pulling her hips to settle on his. Their bodies locked together—flesh on flesh. Kaitlyn gasped, her body tensing. 

Lucas cupped her breasts in his hands, his pulse in his throat. He could hear his own heart pounding in his ears as she leaned down and kissed him, and their bodies began to move together. 

For hours, they explored each other. Outside the window, the sun disappeared and the room fell into darkness. When they came up for air, Kaitlyn’s cheeks were rosy, her eyes shining.

As they lay entwined together, Lucas waited for his breathing to return to normal. 

“Wow,” she murmured, her head cradled in the curve of his shoulder.

He kissed her head. “I told you, you had nothing to worry about. You’re incredible.”

“You enjoyed it?” Kate asked shyly. 

“Are you kidding me? Couldn’t you tell?” Lucas ran his hand through her long hair. “What about you?”

“Even more amazing than I imagined.” Kaitlyn sighed, twisting to look up at him. Her body slid against his, and desire built between them again. “All of my senses were hyper-alert. I couldn’t think about anything but you.”

“I can’t get enough of you,” Lucas agreed, sliding his palm over her abdomen. 

“Can this last forever?” she whispered, kissing him. “Let’s never leave this bed.”

“As much as I’d like to say yes …” Lucas chuckled.

“I still have so much to learn.” He recognized the devious glint in her grey eyes as she rolled on top of him. “I think I’ll have to keep practicing.”